FORUMS: list search recent posts

2: Apple Intermediate Codec file is larger than Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file...& THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN LENGTH OF CLIP!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
julienne rathore
2: Apple Intermediate Codec file is larger than Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file...& THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN LENGTH OF CLIP!
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:32:26 am

Hi,

following sound advice given by the creative cow team, I was just starting to substitute the AIC clips for the ProRes clips (despite the cases of the the AIC files being bigger).

next unexpected issue:
the length of identical clips are different - the ProRes file is longer than the AIC file in all cases....
there is a consistent difference: every ProRes clip is 5 frames longer than its identical AIC clip REGARDLESS OF ORIGINAL LENGTH..

is this normal? to be expected?

with regard to the FCP timeline, will reconnecting the media after replacing the AIC files with the ProRes files pose a problem, due to the difference in file length?

appreciate any advice of help!
julienne.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: 2: Apple Intermediate Codec file is larger than Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file...& THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN LENGTH OF CLIP!
on Dec 17, 2011 at 1:38:27 pm

Hi Julienne,
You mentioned that those AIC files comes from iMovie.
iMovie doesn't supports TC so the AIC's timing may be always less inaccurate than the Prores files from FC, which has TC.
Tr

[julienne rathore] "with regard to the FCP timeline, will reconnecting the media after replacing the AIC files with the ProRes files pose a problem, due to the difference in file length?"

[julienne rathore] "with regard to the FCP timeline, will reconnecting the media after replacing the AIC files with the ProRes files pose a problem, due to the difference in file length?"
Shouldn't be much problems if name and reel number match.

BTW, you mentionesd you were working with XDCAM stuff. If so, don't waist your time converting it to Prores.
Inport the XDCAM stuff and edit it on a Prores sequence.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

julienne rathore
Re: 2: Apple Intermediate Codec file is larger than Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) file...& THERE IS A DIFFERENCE IN LENGTH OF CLIP!
on Dec 17, 2011 at 2:04:58 pm

Hi Rafael,

thanks for the quick reply!

yes, the AIC files come from IMovies, but I still don't understand why when I import the 2 identical full clips into FCP, the ProRes file is 5 frames longer than the AIC file.

yes, I usually work with XDCAM and import these files into a ProRes timeline, but this time its different and I am sat with no other choice than importing these files from a sony handycam (originally AVCHD files).

I am still concerned about replacing the AIC files with the ProRes files. Everything matches apart from duration which differs by 5 frames each and every clip...(replied earlier that the duration was the same, but was looking in the finder - these 5 frames only show up in FCP..)

julienne

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 18, 2011 at 3:47:04 pm

I don't know if you are working on NTSC and that might be an issue of drop-frames vs non-drop-frme
I don't know how iMovie works about that, just that doesn't supports TC.
Well, you risk nothing trying on a duplicated project.
When relinking, if FC says "Some clips doesn't match...etc", go ahead.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]