FORUMS: list search recent posts

My DVD's from FCP 7 HD look worse than when I did them in DV.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dan Ehly
My DVD's from FCP 7 HD look worse than when I did them in DV.
on Dec 17, 2011 at 5:57:40 am

I have made literally thousands of DVD's from standard DV/DVCam footage in Final Cut 3.4.5.6.7. The quality has always been good and my customers never complain. (Standard 4.3 using iDVD)
Now that I have switched to HD, my blu-rays look awesome but the Standard DVD's have taken a turn downward.

Here is the procedure that I use in creation. 1. Create a Apple 422 Prores stand alone .mov file from my HD 16x9 master. 2. Open a new sequence in the DV format 4X3. Import and open the HD file on the dv sequence, creating a "letterbox' version of the 16.9 in an actual 4.3 space. Put in chapter markers, etc, render and burn in iDVD.

The quality is not nearly as good as the old DV 4.3 files. I have to use the "letterbox" style because it is the only one that you can guarantee will play in every DVD player. Using the other styles causes a lot of phone calls from grandma's that wonder why the people look tall, skinny and wierd.

Does anyone know of a better way to make a quality "letterbox" DVD from a 16.9 HD file? The blu-ray quality is remarkable, but I don't sell very many of them.

Mac OSX - FCP 7.03

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
Re: My DVD's from FCP 7 HD look worse than when I did them in DV.
on Dec 17, 2011 at 2:22:54 pm

Ya, your double compressing that's why.

Out put the Prores HD master.
Quit FCP.
Launch Compressor.
Drop the HD file into Compressor.
Choose DVD Preset.
Adjust frame controls and data rate to maximize quality.
Render.
Launch DVDSP.
Import Assets to create your SD-DVD.
Burn.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]