FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 6 Exporting for DVD audio Sync issues with different codecs

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zach Hammel - Shaver
FCP 6 Exporting for DVD audio Sync issues with different codecs
on Dec 16, 2011 at 6:32:55 pm

HI,

So I've been on the creative cow forms for years just lurking. I've decided to sign up so I can actually participate.

I have found posts where other people are having similar problems but I can't seem to find the solution for my exact problem.

I have a 64 min short film I'm trying to get to DVD at the highest feasible quality.

My raw footage is HDV from a canon hv30 camera at 1440 X 1080 29.97 fps I'm using a HDV 1080i60 codec.

I have about 14 sequences within a master sequence for organization purposes. I have already mixed and round tripped each sequences through soundtrack pro.

When I go to export it as a self contained QT file for compressor to burn to DVD the audio slowly falls out of sync until at the end it's close to 6 seconds off. It's about a 12 GB file.

I duplicated the project and converted all the sequences to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) rerendored and exported again to a self contained QT file. This time the audio stays in sync but the file size is close to 90GB.

Any thoughts if my goal is to get the project onto a DVD using compressor at the highest quality possible?

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: FCP 6 Exporting for DVD audio Sync issues with different codecs
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:12:10 pm

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "...I duplicated the project and converted all the sequences to Apple ProRes 422 (HQ) rerendored and exported again to a self contained QT file. This time the audio stays in sync but the file size is close to 90GB.

Any thoughts if my goal is to get the project onto a DVD using compressor at the highest quality possible?"

You don't need to use ProRes HQ: ProRes 422 is just fine, and about half the file size. But you'll STILL have to deal with file sizes that are much larger than HDV. It's a fact of life. Get used to it.

Exporting a self-contained QT for use in Compressor is the way to go.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 16, 2011 at 7:45:05 pm

So is there no hope for getting an HDV export with the audio synced?

Excuse me if this is ignorant but why would a ProRes 422 export have synced audio and the HDV be out of sync?

As for the next step. Can you make an recommendations for compressor settings? I think I may be able to us my new macbook pro to burn to a duel layer dvd. Would this be the way to go?

Thanks for your thoughts Dave.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 16, 2011 at 8:31:40 pm

Forget HDV. It's just an acquisition codec. ProRes 422 does the heavy lifting in FCP.

Your Compressor setting should be based on the duration of your project. The object when making mpeg2 files is to compress as little as possible AND to stay within the 7 MB/sec bit rate limit of a DVD, and don't forget that audio has a bit rate, too. Pick one of Compressor's settings and you're good to go.

[Zach Hammel - Shaver] "I think I may be able to us my new macbook pro to burn to a duel layer dvd. Would this be the way to go?"

It has a burner that specifically works with dual-layer DVD's? Nice, but you probably don't need dual-layer.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Zach Hammel - Shaver
on Dec 17, 2011 at 10:52:50 pm

I've been working with FCP for a few years now but never had to export a major project yet.

I still feel like there's some voodoo in codecs. ;)

Thanks again for the help Dave!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]