FORUMS: list search recent posts

16:9 and H.264 Conversion Issues/Editing in FCP 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jonathan Lester
16:9 and H.264 Conversion Issues/Editing in FCP 6
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:51:20 pm

Hey guys!
I have a Quicktime file (H.264, 16:9, 1920x800, 3 hours 48 min long) that isn't playing well with FCP 6. Whenever I open the file it gives me a general error message and locks up 9Which probably means the file is to long). I know FCP doesn't play terribly well with H.264, so I've been doing conversions via MPEG-Streamclip. I've been having issues with streamclip stretching the image to fit the selected codec (i.e. - it's stretched vertically for HDV 1080p24). The only codec I've found that doesn't stretch the image is H.264 - which does me no good. Because it's so long, using a lossless codec such as Apple ProRes would be ridiculously huge.

SO, question:
with a file more than 3 1/2 hours long in a unfriendly codec, what is the best codec to use that won't zap hundreds of GBs? I can split the file up into smaller pieces to play better in FCP, but I still can't find a proper codec.

Suggestions?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: 16:9 and H.264 Conversion Issues/Editing in FCP 6
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:58:09 pm

1920x800? What camera was used for that? You'll be hard pressed to get that as an editing codec, as the dimensions are not broadcast dimensions, and that is what FCP works with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: 16:9 and H.264 Conversion Issues/Editing in FCP 6
on Dec 15, 2011 at 10:01:16 pm

[Jonathan Lester] "with a file more than 3 1/2 hours long in a unfriendly codec, what is the best codec to use that won't zap hundreds of GBs? I can split the file up into smaller pieces to play better in FCP, but I still can't find a proper codec."

Considering that ProRes 422 is the preferred editing codec for FCP -- and remarkably compact for its fine image quality, incidentally -- you should bite the bullet and make your huge file. Segment it if you wish, since you said you could do so.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]