FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can Compressor keep Timecode as passthrough when transcoding to ProRes LT?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Michael Griggs
Can Compressor keep Timecode as passthrough when transcoding to ProRes LT?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 8:17:02 pm

I have recently discovered Digital Rebellion's QT Edit...which allows me to batch add TC to my Nikon's D7000 clips. (Nikon isn't as cool as Canon with their L&T plugin preserving TC metadata). Before now, although I could set the camera to time-of-day and batch rename with Adobe Bridge to make the name of each clip be the time-of-day, my timecode would still only start at 00:00:00.

With QT Edit, I can batch all of my clips from an event that I shoot and give them actual TC (with the "file creation" time, thus giving me time-of-day TC). However, this only seems to work on the original H.264 files. As I am working in Final Cut 7, these are obviously not editable before transcoding. If I bring the H.264 files into FCP, the TC that I generated is correct (starting TC, length of clip, etc.) So I know that QT Edit is at least working correctly.

Here's my problem....

I normally use Compressor (via droplets) to transcode my footage (usually to ProRes LT). But, for some reason, Compressor decides that it wants to alter my timecode!?!?

Example:

My clip was created (recorded) at 8/26/11 4:22 PM. The batch rename from Bridge names it "082611_162234". If I bring the h.264 clip in to FCP directly, it shows the correct timecode (again, obviously not editable). But, for some reason, Compressor seems to think that the TC start time is "01:08:11:07". That's not even CLOSE!

So, my question is,

Is there a way to set Compressor to have pass-through Time Code? .

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Can Compressor keep Timecode as passthrough when transcoding to ProRes LT?
on Dec 16, 2011 at 3:30:16 pm

Not sure what is happening, but did you try QTchange also?

http://www.videotoolshed.com/product/42/qtchange

Besides being able to read the file creation time, it is also smart enough to deduct the file duration.
(when you shoot 10 minutes of video, the creation time is 10 minutes later than the actual start of the shoot...)

For Canon material it can use the .THM file for more accurate time, not sure how that works on Nikon material.

But if you send me some testclips i'm happy to have a look at them!

hth,

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]