FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sequence/Clip Media Start - End changed

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nikos Papadopoulos
Sequence/Clip Media Start - End changed
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:59:32 pm

I am in a very urgent situation.

Working on a feature length project and today after opening 2 sequences I was working on yesterday I had to relink media, because my scratch disks were not connected.

While relinking, final cut pop up says that some clips' media start & end has changed , continue with relinking or cancel. I had to continue work so I went on. Alas, now i am in front of a nightmare!

Both sequencies have been altered. In some areas the edits look the same but the content is different, in other areas cuts have been totaly removed.

please help.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sequence/Clip Media Start - End changed
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:07:21 pm

Do you have multiple media files with the same name? Like UNTITLED, UNTITLED-1...or Clip #1, Clip #2? If so...that can cause this.

Don't save. Quit and re-open with your drive turned on. Or if you did save...open a recent autosaved file with the drive connected.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:18:03 pm

Thank you Shane.
Most of my files have the same name "name_of_shootingplace_date" with a numerical increase (001,002,003) etc. It would be very hard to distinguish them with another method of naming.

I did hit save, unfortunatelly, and after that it all started. I have multiple backups of the projects and autosaves and backups for the autosaves. I have opened several of them but nothing changes.

It seems that whatever verion of the saved,autosaved, backedup version I open, they are all linked improperly to my scratch disk material.

Is this undoable?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:32:45 pm

All the backups link to this wrong? That's odd.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:45:05 pm

I am afraid it is not just odd, it's a disaster!

The project I work on is given evey day a given name, so every project version has its own aurosaved backups.

I have opened most of the autosaved versions of todays and yesterdays project name as well as the backed up projects (of today and yesterday) . No luck. The sequences in question - or the clips in them- point to the wrong raw material.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:54:50 pm

[Nikos Papadopoulos] "No luck. The sequences in question - or the clips in them- point to the wrong raw material.
"

Are you editing h.264 or MP4 files?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:06:00 pm

No. The sequence consists of pro res 422 LT files and some dv material.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:10:24 pm

I opened one of the versions and made the clips offline through the "modify" menu- make offline.

Though I could reconnect them as they were originaly but that did not work either.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:27:16 pm

Import one clip....from scratch. Look at it compared to the offline version you have of that clip in the Browser. Anything different? Timecode? Start/stop? Duration? Name? Reel number?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:51:16 pm

same duration, same start-same finish.

regarding timecode:
no in and out set

media start, media end have some properties ( but cannot be seen through finder/quicktime)

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:55:46 pm

IN and OUT are the points you MARK when you make selections in the clip, so those don't matter.

But you then try to reconnect to that clip and get an error? And it isn't the same footage as before?

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:57:57 pm

I imported a master clip in a new sequence and it works fine.The same properties. But it was already online, so did not try to reconnect. No errors.

Return to posts index

Nikos Papadopoulos
on Dec 16, 2011 at 10:04:44 am

Thank you for trying to help. These file were imported by log and capture and were atomaticaly converted to prores 422 LT. I did not mess around with file names, as the names were given during the log and transfer proccess.

This is definetely a final cut bug.

The problem dissapeared (not solved though, as the reasons remain unknown) with the folowing way:

a) I open one of the backed up files and looked at my rough cut wich consists of sequencies.
b) By playing the 2 specific sequencies on the rough cut, there was no error in the edit.
c) By opening these 2 sequencies on the project browser, there was a different edit !!!!
d) By going back to the rough cut and double clicking on the nested sequence, I could see the original edit.
e) Now I had one specific sequence in the timeline, the same name, the identical sequence, opened in two different tabs. In one tab (the sequence that i entered to through the rough cut) the edit was the original, in the other tab (the one that i opened through the project browser) the edit was distorted !!!
f) I copied the clips of the original edit to a newly created sequence.
g) I deleted the old- problematic sequence
h) i repeated the process with the second sequence that was altered by final cut on its own will.

I hope this will help someone in a similar situation and I keep this question as unsolved, because in reality noone really knows - until now- the reason for this situation. Thank god it was solved.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]