FORUMS: list search recent posts

iPhone 4S video to FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Chuck Purnell
iPhone 4S video to FCP 7
on Dec 15, 2011 at 3:36:12 pm

I have imported all my iPhone 4S videos into Aperture 3 (I know you can use iPhoto as well). Now I have my clips imported do I just drag them over to FCP? Is there a way I can bring them over like a batch (all at one time)? Do I have to do any converting first?

Thanks

Cre8tive Minds Entertainment, LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: iPhone 4S video to FCP 7
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:28:46 pm

Chuck...Chuck, Chuck, Chuck, Chuck. How long have you been on the Cow? A while.

:)

And I see from your other posts that you are no stranger to shooting video with still cameras (Nikon). And you have also given advice to others that they need to use MPEG STREAMCLIP to convert to ProRes. So you know better than this.

Of course you need to convert the iPhone video. To ProRes, like you do with ANY H.264 format (the format that the iPhone shoots).

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:06:49 pm

Very true Shane but I am new to the iPhone and this is the first time I am playing around with video and getting it in FCP. I have a complete workflow I use for when I shoot with HDSLR's. Importing my iPhone video to iPhoto or Aperture is what is throwing me off. I guess I can locate the video on my Hard drive then go about it the same way as if I shot something with my Nikon and convert the clips over to Apple Pro Res.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:28:10 pm

Use IMAGE CAPTURE to offload the video from the phone. It'll put it right where you want it, not bury it in an app.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:23:37 pm

There's an app in the app store that's called "transfer app". It's $2.99 I think. It allows your to transfer over wifi from the phone to the computer usung the app on the phone and your Internet browser on your computer.

It'll also let you transfer to other iPhones and iPads that also have the app. Pics and vids. I shot my brother in laws wedding while on vacation in CO on my iPhone, transferred clips to iPad, and edited it using 3 different apps (plus a couple that do effects...including be from Red Giant!) and delivered it before I left for home.

Of course it wasn't as awesome as my pro work but I didn't want to take all my pro equipment...and besides I was on vacation! :-) Anyways, he loved it. I used iMovie, ReelDirector, and Splice as editors. It was a good test anyway.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Posted from iPad - please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:27:10 pm

That app is actually called Photo Transfer App. It does both vid and pic though. Once you have em on your Mac, use MPEG Streamclip

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions
Posted from iPad - please excuse typos!

Return to posts index

David Foster
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:06:38 pm

Please make sure to check the frame rate of the iPhone videos. The iPhone shoots different frame rates automatically based on light source, ambient light, etc., so your source footage may show weird stuff like 25.80fps, 24.2fps...

I transcoded the footage in Compressor to the frame rate I want (usually 23.976) before bringing it into FCP. Never had any audio sync issue using this method.

David

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 16, 2011 at 9:09:02 pm

Theres an app called FilmicPro that allows you to lock all of those settings...and MANY more. I've played with it many times now. Sometimes things just happen when the only camera you have with you is the iPhone...it's no replacement for real gear but it comes in handy. Also, it can be used for cool "effects" to simulate a handheld camera or to give you the look of someone filming on the street. You know what I mean.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Naeem Moh
on Oct 5, 2012 at 9:38:32 pm

I'm editing some clips shot on iPhone for a show tomorrow.

Tried converting w/ both Compressor & Mpeg Streamclip, as per advice on Cow forums.

Compressor: Files become 30 fps, ProRes422, 640x480
Mpeg Streamclip: Files become 30.97 fps, ProRes422, 640x480

Original iPhone MOV was 29.97 fps, H.264, 640x480

Going to FCP 7>Audio/Video Settings>Sequence Presets I duplicate the Preset for "ProRes 422 NTSC 48 khz" and edit it so that it is now 640x480, 30 fps, ProRes422. (I also note there's no option to change sequence to 30.97, so decide I can only use the Streamclip generated version).

Drop it in, and it still has to render.

It also has to render photos taken on the same iPhone when those are dropped in as well (but the video clip is bigger issue).

Return to posts index

Chuck Purnell
on Oct 6, 2012 at 6:04:38 am

I just cut a 35 minute movie with Final Cut Pro 7 and 98% of the footage came from my iPhone 4S. I used MPEG Streamclip to convert the footage. You can use Compressor but to me MPEG was faster. Keep in mind that the rear camera shoots 1920x1080 and the front facing camera shoots 640x480. I ended up throwing everything on the timeline and the footage that wasn't 1080, I simply resized the clips and added an animated background to cover up the black holes. In the end, it all looked good.

Return to posts index

Ramiro Fauve
on Dec 18, 2012 at 7:15:05 am

Please specify what your settings were. I'm not sure which ones to choose
I am trying to work with my iphone 5 1920 x 1820 videos into final cut pro

macbook pro intel duo core

Thanks!

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
Re: iPhone 5S video to FCP 7
on Jul 28, 2015 at 10:14:18 pm

Hello,

I am making a music video, and part of my footage is shot on Iphone 5s, and the other on Sony- the one where you get the footage from private folder- sorry I had a camera person, waiting for her to reply about the camera name. Is the Mpeg Steam Clip best program to covert video files, also what setting I should use in MPEG Steamclip, to get the best quality to edit in FCP 7.

I hope somebody responses.

Thank you
B

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2015 at 10:51:36 pm

For iPhone...either MPEG STREAMCLIP or Compressor will work fine. And use the ProRes 422 1920x1080 setting. And PLEASE tell me it was shot horizontal, and not vertical.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:14:26 pm

Thank you for this, yes I am aware of this general thing, it is I am a little confused when I actually start converting- what option to chose here, See pic :

Then what I chose ?

The reson why I ask, is because I am making a music video that will go online internationally, and I dont know if I should be worried I shot a big part of it on the Iphone, :/ I always do this weired experiments....anyway, I want to make sure I get the best quality possible for the editing, that will be compatible with the Sonny footage.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:18:09 pm

Export to QUICKTIME...and then choose ProRes 422. But really, there are a lot of settings. If you bring this into Compressor, and use the ProRes 422 preset, it'll be a simple drag and drop...DONE...situation.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:31:18 pm

Thank you Shane, few more questions, So I get this optiones (ps. Sorry I dont know Compressor- or never used, and would want to stick with this one for this video)

What shall I click for best quality, and quick editing?

I edited like 10 videos in my life, but still, each time I start with FCP 7, I each time am being surprised. It also look to me that never before, I was converitn my clips right.....Jesus!!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:33:31 pm

COMPRESSION...click on that drop down menu...where it says APPLE MOTION JPEG A...choose ProRes 322. Make sure Quality is set to 100%. I don't think you need to touch the frame rate...it should carry through. And choose 1920x1080 for FRAME SIZE

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:35:57 pm

Alsoo Apple Pro Ress 422 or Apple Pro Ress 422 HQ ?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:37:32 pm

ProRes 422. I didn't say HQ. (sorry, snarkiness) ProRes 422 is fine, HQ is overkill for iPhone. 50% larger with zero quality gain.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:40:43 pm

Sorry, the last one: What shall I chose for sound?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 28, 2015 at 11:55:00 pm

Uncompressed

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Jul 29, 2015 at 12:03:54 am

Great, you are a star! Yes, I will look at your blog! Goodnight!

Return to posts index

Barbara Bargiel
on Aug 1, 2015 at 7:54:40 pm

Hello again.

I delt with footage from Iphone 5s, now I am stryggling with Sony footage AVCHD, I am trying to avoid importing it in the FCP 7 through Log and Transfer, and instead convert it to Apple ProRess 422. Mpeg Steamclip does not support AVCHD files. I read on other forums I can do it in Clipwrap or Bigasoft.
But looks like both apps are paid, and do not convert footage that is over 1 min. What to do? can somebody send me a link to make these apps work for free? or recomand any other way to convert AVCHD to ProRess ?

Thank you,
B

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]