FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony ME-DVM63 broken tape - What! No screws?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tom Grushka
Sony ME-DVM63 broken tape - What! No screws?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 2:31:49 am

Hi Everyone,

I'm new to posting here and very sorry if this is the wrong forum, but --
1. I found other posts related to broken tapes in the FCP forum, and
2. I want to make sure this gets read by an expert.

I've got a Sony ME-DVM63 tape that's broken. There is footage on it that I need to capture. These tapes are $5 + each. I thought they were pro-grade.

It's partly my fault it's broken, as I used a rewinder (to save my camera) that wound up jamming the door mechanism. The rewinder is now taken apart and in the garbage. Never, ever again will I use one of those, especially since some of my footage may one day be more valuable than replacing my XH-A1!

I know tapes can be repaired easily. Tons of tutorials. Just use a little screwdriver to... etc.... WAIT! This Sony supposedly pro-grade tape has NO SCREWS.

Is Sony "cutting costs" by making their cases impossible to open, or is that just a conspiracy theory that someone here can disprove by kindly telling me the secret to opening this apparently grossly miscategorized over-priced piece of junk tape case without destroying it?

Sorry for politicizing this and thank you very much for your help.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Sony ME-DVM63 broken tape - What! No screws?
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:11:09 am

http://www.sonymediaservices.com/

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Tom Grushka
on Dec 15, 2011 at 5:30:03 am

So, will Sony fix it for free, since it's their faulty design?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 15, 2011 at 6:13:56 am

Bummer. I have a few Sony DVM60 ME tapes. Is that the same thing? These are miniDV tapes from Walmart or Sam's. These are not pro tapes. But at probably $2-3 a tape, even they have screws. But they're probably a couple years old.

Return to posts index

Tom Grushka
on Dec 15, 2011 at 7:28:05 am

Yes, unfortunately, I believe Sony has cheaped us out (if that's a word).

I shot an event last night and we needed an extra tape. One of my camera guys had a red Sony Color Collection -- it also has the "ME" logo and is probably a little old because he reuses tapes. His tape has the screws. The ones I bought just a month ago do not.

I FINALLY got the case open. (Wish I made a YouTube video... maybe I'll do that with my remaining blank.) I had to pry it open destructively. Ahhh, yes -- a "snap together" case. It probably cost Sony more money to change the plastic molds than they saved from leaving out four tiny screws on thousands of tapes.

Honestly, I believe it's a ploy to force the consumer into using a "disposable" product -- if the tape breaks, (1) buy a new one, (2) pay Sony's service center $50 to repair it for you, or (3) open it yourself and have to cannabilize another tape just to use the cartridge.

Bad move, Sony ... I'm switching to Panasonic tape. Just ordered some... and will report back if they have the same design flaw... hope not.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 17, 2011 at 8:33:13 am

Well I wouldn't call it disposable, but even on the actual professional DV or DVCam tape you wouldn't record on it more than once and consider it reliable. Can't believe your friend is reusing $5 tape. Why is it $5 anyway? Get yourself to Walmart and pick 'em up for a buck or two. Amazon might be a better choice. I dunno. Who has shot a DV tape in the last 3-4 years? Maybe this is your sign to bite the bullet and move on to HD or HDV on cards. I suppose if your product is DVDs, then SD is still viable. But when everybody's phone is shooting sorta decent 1080p, I think it's time.

Return to posts index

Tom Grushka
on Dec 17, 2011 at 11:13:19 am

Well, I found out it's more than just Sony. Panasonic is also making "screw-less" tapes now.

For some reason, there is pressure being put on us to drop the tape workflow, just as there was pressure for photographers to drop film in favor of digital.

The tape flow is not going away, people, just like pro photographers still use film and Hollywood studios still shoot on 35mm.

This is just a ploy to the consumer to push the consumer to buy new equipment, and it's working. It's working quite well ... but it won't work for me, I'm not switching.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Dec 15, 2011 at 9:05:50 am

When I run into this I just use a sacrificial screw assembled blank to host the tape from the glue together cassette. Just use an Xacto knife to cut open the glue together cassette.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Where were you on 6/21?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]