FORUMS: list search recent posts

Aspect Ratio Changes When Pasting HD Files From One Timeline to Another

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bruce Armbruster
Aspect Ratio Changes When Pasting HD Files From One Timeline to Another
on Dec 14, 2011 at 7:56:49 pm

I know this is a silly question, but I can't find the answer anywhere. I've started a new job in FCP 7.0.3 using 1920 x 1080 Quicktimes (H.264, Linear PCM). This was from a two camera shoot with an additional audio source of WAV files. Everything looks great in the original timeline. I just synched all the files using PluralEyes. I'm ready to scrub, but when I cut & paste the synched video and audio files from the individual PluralEyes-generated timelines into one master timeline, the aspect ratio changes to a 3:4 with letterbox bars. The footage also shows as half the size in the canvas. I imported the original files into a new project and no other jobs are open, so FCP shouldn't be grabbing settings from another source. Obviously, I'm doing something wrong. Can anyone give some insight?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Aspect Ratio Changes When Pasting HD Files From One Timeline to Another
on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:13:13 pm

[Bruce Armbruster] " I've started a new job in FCP 7.0.3 using 1920 x 1080 Quicktimes (H.264, Linear PCM)."

You've gotten off to a BAD start. Never edit H.264 native in FCP. Might work OK at first, but then things will get very sluggish and bad. H.264 is not an editing codec, it is an acquisition and delivery codec. Highly complex. Gotta convert to an editing codec, like ProRes. And yes, the file sizes will increase.

[Bruce Armbruster] "but when I cut & paste the synched video and audio files from the individual PluralEyes-generated timelines into one master timeline, the aspect ratio changes to a 3:4 with letterbox bars."

What are the sequence settings for that sequence? Go to the SEQUENCE menu and choose SETTINGS. I'll wager they are DV...

[Bruce Armbruster] "so FCP shouldn't be grabbing settings from another source."

Nope. When you CUT or DRAG footage into a new timeline, FCP will ask if you want to make the settings match. But when you cut and paste...it will not. YOu need to choose an Easy Setup that is to your liking, then make a new sequence, THEN paste the content.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Bruce Armbruster
Re: Aspect Ratio Changes When Pasting HD Files From One Timeline to Another
on Dec 14, 2011 at 9:01:00 pm

Shane,

Thank you very much - that did the trick. I made the mistake of assuming new timelines would carry the project settings as determined by the footage being imported into the original timelines - not too slick on my part. Everything's running like a top now and I've changed the Codec to ProRes. Thanks again. I appreciate your expertise.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]