FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP Out of Memory after a few renders

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Franco Bogino
FCP Out of Memory after a few renders
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:23:32 pm

I know this is something that a lot of people ask about, but I've not found anything quite answering my question.

I know the memory issues are common with certain formats, but I would like to know more about why FCP seems to eventually run out of memory regardless of glaring format issues.
It is especially annoying when onlining longform, and you do a certain amount of work and rendering and FCP suddenly decides it's had enough. The only way I know of dealing with it is quitting and restarting FCP, at which point it seems happy to go on rendering for a bit more...but depending on the nature of the project, will probably need another restart at some point to finish the job.

Can anyone enlighten me as to where the problem stems from, and if there is a way of either freeing up FCP's memory without a restart, or somehow assigning more memory? Is the memory assigned to the stills cache supplemental to FCP's 4k limit, and would assigning it more ram help? Most macs I work on these days have a ridiculous amount of RAM, and it's a shame there's no way of getting FCP to benefit from it.
Onlines have pretty tight turnarounds, and restarting FCP when you're in the thick of it is not always the most pleasing solution.

All info, however small or big would be received with interest.

Cheers

Franco

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP Out of Memory after a few renders
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:24:53 pm

If you have any stills in your timeline that are over 4K pixel size, you will get this error.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 14, 2011 at 5:38:48 pm

And, if you have any files on the timeline that are MP4, h.264, MPG, etc. you will also encounter the same problem, especially as your project and timeline grows.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Franco Bogino
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:02:23 pm

I'm aware of all the trouble files, but I often also get it on timelines which are exclusively HD ProRes. I'm talking about longform online here, sometimes with some plugin effects to render, rendering interlaced for rolling credits etc.
The memory will be fine until it eventually 'runs out'. Kind of like a memory leak. I am a freelancer, so have seen this on more than one system. As I say, most systems are pretty powerful these days, at the moment I'm on the latest mac pro towers, 2.8ghz INTEL Xeon with 16gig RAM (not that that matters to FCP).

London based Avid/ FCP offline editor.
FCP Online.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 15, 2011 at 4:39:48 pm

Render in sections. 5 min sections at a time. narrow things down. Find the problem plugin, see if you can fix, or replace it. I do this a lot of the time. Just did it last week. Took 8 hours to render.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]