FORUMS: list search recent posts

exporting multiclip footage, reference movies not actually working - and a solution...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Matt Lyon
exporting multiclip footage, reference movies not actually working - and a solution...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 2:37:07 pm

I've been working with a lot of multiclip footage lately and noticed an issue with creating reference movies. I'm wondering if anybody else can duplicate or shed some light.

system: FCP 7.0.3, OS 10.5.8

So I take a timeline composed entirely of multiclips, and export it using "File>Export>QuickTime Movie..."

I leave "Make Movie Self Contained" checked OFF.

The sequence takes longer then expected to export and the resulting movie is actually fully self contained. This is verified by the file size and by checking the "resources" tab in the properties window of the quicktime movie.

Then I take the same sequence and export using the batch export window. Again, I leave "Make Movie Self Contained" checked OFF.

The sequence exports much faster and the resulting file is clearly a proper reference movie.

So I guess the lesson is to export multiclip heavy reference movies using the "batch export" window? The other workaround I've found is to duplicate your sequence, flatten all the multiclips, then export your reference movie, but that's kind of a waste of time, since I can just as easily use the batch export tool.

Maybe I'm missing something...

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: exporting multiclip footage, reference movies not actually working - and a solution...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:44:37 pm

If your sequence is unrendered, then FCP will render it as it exports, and make that render part of the exported "reference" quicktime. You need to fully render, THEN export the REF QT if you want it to be small.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Matt Lyon
Re: exporting multiclip footage, reference movies not actually working - and a solution...
on Dec 13, 2011 at 3:51:09 pm

The video render status is listed as "FULL" in the pop-up window when I mouse over the timeline ruler. I guess I could force render, then do the export, but why bother if the batch-export trick saves the step?

Matt Lyon
Editor
Toronto

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]