FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 & Screen Capture Video

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dameon Wall
FCP 7 & Screen Capture Video
on Dec 13, 2011 at 4:01:05 am

I've learned much by lurking here, but can't figure out how to solve this dilemma...
I have used Snapz Pro X to capture video from my MacBook Pro screen.
I saved that video using Snapz's own options to match the FCP settings for the project for which it is part - at HD 1080/30fps.
It looks terrible in the viewer, the canvas and final exported .mov file.
Also, it is not WYSIWYG - as I have applied motion (mostly zoom, but a bit of pan too) and both the rendered video and final exported .mov are not showing me the same as what was there before rendering. One clip has been "squashed" vertically, while the other is not picking up at the proper starting point so is not showing what I need it to.

I don't understand, and really need to.

any and all help is greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Dameon

If I could only learn this one thing,
I'm sure I could take over the world...
or at least keep my sanity.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: FCP 7 & Screen Capture Video
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:14:51 am

HD 1080i 30fps, but what codec?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dameon Wall
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:17:49 am

Sorry,

422 (LT)

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Dec 13, 2011 at 5:31:19 am

Are you using the latest version of Snapz Pro X 2.3.2?

What video codec did you select within Snapz Pro X when saving the captured video? I think the default is H264. Prores 422 should be available there in the options if you have FCP installed on the computer you are capturing from, or you can transcode the H264 using MPEG Streamclip.

Are you selecting the full screen size when capturing? In order to capture 1080p from a screen you need to be capturing with the selected screen area set to the full screen size or as close as you can get it within the aspect ratio. If the subject matter of interest is small within the display try enlarging the size of the image within a browser display or by usingh OS X Universal Access*.

Also the display you are capturing from should be of a sufficiently large size. What are the maximum display dimensions of your MacBook Pro? For example my own MBP 15" displays at 1440x900, okay for capturing the entire screen at 720p HD but insufficient for 1080.

I have done many screen captures of clients websites using Snapz Pro X and ScreenFlow, both have their features, I understand ScreenFlow may have the advantage when it comes to a stable frame rate within FCP. And Snapz Pro X may have issues with Universal Access*.

Check this blog for a useful comparison.

http://machouse.mhvt.net/?p=1310

Hope this is useful.

Independent producer, director, cinematographer, writer, editor
Milas Film Productions, Hong Kong
http://www.milasfilm.com

Return to posts index

Dameon Wall
on Dec 13, 2011 at 6:04:52 pm

Thanks for the responses...

Yup - latest version of Snapz Pro X 2.3.2.
I have my Macbook connected to my 27" iMac via miniport, and selected the entire screen for the capture...thinking that was a higher resolution than the 17 inch Macbook screen.
Saved the original file as 422 (LT).

I should have thought to enlarge the browser's display to reduce the amount of scaling I need...thanks for the tip - that should help, but I still expected a cleaner image....

I tried to avoid purchasing ScreenFlow since I expect this is a one off need of mine, and only require about 20 seconds of material....however, it has to be as good as possible so may just give up the cash...it looks intuitive and fairly straightforward.

Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]