FORUMS: list search recent posts

Ingesting AVCHD Footage into FCP7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Sascha Engel
Ingesting AVCHD Footage into FCP7
on Dec 12, 2011 at 4:05:42 pm

I have material, that was shot on a Panasonic AF-101, AVCHD Codec.
Now, I am ingesting it into FCP 7. I read frequently in the last days, that when ingesting
AVCHD Material, Apple ProRes LT is more than enough quality and going any higher, e.g. to ProRes Standard or HQ, would be a waste of disk space.
I am happy to that since I have to ingest tons of material and it would vapurate my disc space in ProRes HQ.
I did some test I'd like to share the results with: Encoded some bits in ProRes Proxy and some into ProRes HQ and even there, I could not sport any difference, playing both files back in QT at 200% magnification.

My two Qs:

1. Can I safely transcode all material into LT and have still the best quality, specially later for CC in Color?
2. In the Log & Transfer window preferences, I can choose transcoding sound to matrix stereo or plain stereo.
Can somebody explain me the difference?

Thanx a lot & have a great day!

Greetings,

Sascha

Return to posts index

Ian Lynn
Re: Ingesting TZ30 AVCHD Footage into FCP7
on Nov 15, 2012 at 1:20:22 pm

Anyone else having a problem ingesting AVCHD from a Panasonic Lumix into FCP 7 using Log and Transfer?

All info I can find says this is the correct method, with the proviso that the indicated clip durations will not be accurate and preview will only play clips forward at 100% speed. However I have no preview at all, and if I do try and select one of the clips, it will not import/transcode.

On both my computers Log and Transfer happily copes with EX3, and with FS700 (AVCHD) files, but the Panasonic TZ30 camera files appear only as basic clip numbers (Clip #1, Clip #2 etc), with no thumbnail, and duration of 00.00 for all clips. At least it does know how many clips there are, so it is seeing something.

MacPro and MBP are both Intel machines, and I have selected AVCHD to ProRes in the preferences.

The same files import perfectly in FCP X via 'Camera Archive' (X's version of Log and Transfer) so I can work around by getting my footage from there, but that is not very efficient or convenient. Any suggestions please?

Thanks, Ian

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]