FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting MP4 to MOV - lost sound track?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jo Fishburn
Converting MP4 to MOV - lost sound track?
on Dec 10, 2011 at 7:52:14 am

I am a new Final Cut Xpress User and very new to editing. I shot material on an EX1 and converted the MP4's to .mov. Finally have them imported into FC Xpress and looks like I now only have one audio track. I definitely need them separated. Any suggestions?

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Converting MP4 to MOV - lost sound track?
on Dec 10, 2011 at 3:26:49 pm

How did you "convert" the files? Try using MPEG Streamclip, and and a codec that FCP Xpress can support. HDV, or the AIC codec probably.

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 10, 2011 at 5:40:24 pm

Any particular reason you went from the EX1 to MP4 to Final Cut X when Final Cut X will support the EX1 files natively? That's a lot of loss and through re-compression.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
on Dec 10, 2011 at 5:55:34 pm

[Brad Wright] "Any particular reason you went from the EX1 to MP4 to Final Cut X when Final Cut X will support the EX1"

They are using Final Cut Express. The "X" in Xpress can be confusing.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 10, 2011 at 6:27:47 pm

Yes, you are correct. In that case, I believe the best way to handle the EX1 files should be converted directly to ProRes instead of MP4. I would recommend using Compressor 4 to do this.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Jo Fishburn
on Dec 10, 2011 at 8:13:16 pm

Thanks fellas. I am a wee bit confused. Perhaps we need to go back to basics. I didn't convert it to MP4, I thought that was the native file. Let me explain. When I copied the files over it gave me a file called BPAV, in that was one named CLPR, then HHTV0023_07, within which there were files with the file name with the following extenssions
.BIN
.XML
.SMI
.MP4
.PPN

the only thing I recognised was the .mp4 so that is what I tried to import, which Final Cut Express didn't take, hence I converted it to .MOV

Hope that explains. Does this provide a clearer route as to what I need to do to import the file and maintain two audio tracks?

thanks for the input.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]