FORUMS: list search recent posts

1080i29.97 ProRes422(HQ) to 1080i50 ProRes422(HQ)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Fleming
1080i29.97 ProRes422(HQ) to 1080i50 ProRes422(HQ)
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:29:11 am

Hello all,

AWESOME SITE! Been learnign so much!

i've got a question re: my workflow.

Our company has 30+ hours of sports footage that was captured at 1080i29.97 ProRes(HQ). We ulimately make DVD's/Blurays/Web features with this. But, one of our clients in Asia requires either 1080i25 ProRes(HQ) or, ideally, XDCAM HD422 (50MB/s) at 25fps for broadcast.

We can't do a conversion in Compressor because it will take WAY too long. So, we rented a AJA Ki Pro to play our native files and an Analog Way Tetra Vio converter.

WORKFLOW: We conected the Ki Pro to the Tetra Vio with HD/SDI, set the Tetra Vio to convert from the 60hz input to 50 hz output and conected it to our Mac Pro which has a Kona LHi card via HD/SDI. It all seemed to record fine. Is that the way it's done, basically? From my understanding we shouldn't have any problem with sync when it's run audio and video is sent HD/SDI.

Assuming that IS correct (the rental house suggested this setup) we should not have had any problems right? Well, it was thanksgiving weekend, I had to get this footage out to Asia on monday and the rental house was closed all weekend. The Tetra Vio had some pops and clicks it was creating in the audio, so I ran analog audio out of the Ki Pro, through a Lexicon delaty unit to compensate for delay from the converter and analog into the Kona card. All was GREAT! I patted myself on the back for that one. What I didn't notice though was there was a very slight stuttering to fast motion video... I recorded to 1080i25 ProRes 422(HQ). Our client came back this week with "The footage is not fit for broadcast because of the jittering".

So, does it sound like this Tetra Vio converter was defective in video conversion as well as the audio? I haven't seen any mention if this unit on the forum, so I'm wondering if it was user error (me being a novice at this) or if it points to a defective unit. The rental company has been very uncopperative - won't even return calls, so i'm at a loss. I'm in Austin, TX - not exactly the Broadcast center of the world, so I can't even find another place to rent a converter from - and we REALLY need to get this done ASAP.

Sorry if this is long, or meandering - I'm completely spent on trying to find an answer...

BTW: When we get this fixed, we will be converting to 1080i50 XDCAM HD422(50 MB/s), which is the clients prefered delivery.

Thank you in advance!

Patrick

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]