FORUMS: list search recent posts

Having crystal clear text and images from FCP..is there a way?!!

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
anastasis lazos
Having crystal clear text and images from FCP..is there a way?!!
on Dec 8, 2011 at 10:32:00 pm

I have a sequence with only still images (mostly Tiff various res from low to high i.e. 5000x3000 or so) plus simple text underneath..

I ve set my timeline to the animation codec and when unrendered what i see on canvas is superb even when not viewing at 100% scale but on "fit to screen mode" (i monitor on my imac screen). As soon i render i get that familiar pixelated text and images...

When i export same problem (tried QT current settings, QT conversion H264 codec, MPG4, uncompressed..)

To be honest its been a while i ve edited anything and i always had these problems with FCP. Getting clear text for me was just impossible and always compromised..

Could someone help me with this? The problem with the images is worse i think. What can i do? I am tired trying things..

thank you.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Having crystal clear text and images from FCP..is there a way?!!
on Dec 8, 2011 at 10:43:53 pm

You are using FCP in a way that it really isn't meant to be used. ANIMATION sequence settings? NO no no. FCP is designed to work with formats shot with cameras...none shoot the ANIMATION codec.

You need to use the options you see in the EASY SETUPS. ProRes 422, for example. Use that as a sequence setting and see what you get.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:11:26 pm

In a ProRes 422 sequence image and text is crap even when unrendered..
Same export results..

Am i missing something?
Final video needs to be PAL 16:9 and will be played in some large LCD TVs.

I created a new sequence and set compression codec to Apple ProRes 422 as you suggested, frame size 720x576, what should i select from the aspect ratio drop down menu? I went for CCIR 601 / DV PAL (5:4) and also set the Pixel apsect ratio to PAL - CCIR 601 (720x576), field dominance Lower and ticked anamorphic box. Is this correct?

also i made sure images and text are sitting on even numbers (basic motion properties) and also no decimal places in motion tab numbers too..

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:15:06 pm

also tried on an Uncompressed 8bit timeline. Same as above. (i.e. i unrendered is as bad as rendered and export also crap).

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:16:10 pm

Field Dominance NONE. Interlacing does horrid things to text.

And SD video played back on LARGE LCD TVs will not look all that great. Those crave HD signals...more pixels. Any way to make an HD sequence, HD output?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 8, 2011 at 11:41:12 pm

Well i have a bunch of images, about half are high res as mentioned other lower like 800x600pixels but i scale them (make them smaller) in my canvas since text sits next to them. So maybe they ll be ok on a HD timeline. Do you think i could make this on a HD sequence? What codec should i use to do this HD

Now, i changed field dominance to None. No difference. The only time i see pristine text and images is when i am on the animation codec timeline with material unrendered.
For example there is an image of a newspaper for example (scanned old paper). On the animation timeline (unrendered) i can read the little lines...
HELP!!

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 2:40:37 am

Sounds to me like you need to spend a few minutes searching topics related to editing photos in FCP. Resolution versus size, preparing images for FCP. With the proper resolution and the proper image size for what you want do do you will have pristine images in your timeline (provided, of course, they are in focus).

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
http://www.oneproductionplace.com
Latest project:
Series of profiles for the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans.
http://vimeo.com/channels/pdsoros

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:02:23 am

Set the sequence to Prores and make sure you have checked "Render ALL in high precision YUV", also "Render Motion filters BEST".
5.000x3.000 stills are completely out of FC specs.
Downscale your pictures in Photoshop as much as you can, leave them just big enough for you to make the zoom/pan&scan that you need in FC.
Which Text generator are you using in FC?
Use the Boris.

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Neal Broffman
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:55:57 am

http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/8/942879#943223

Neal Broffman
One Production Place, Atlanta, GA
http://www.oneproductionplace.com
Latest project:
Series of profiles for the Paul and Daisy Soros Fellowships For New Americans.
http://vimeo.com/channels/pdsoros

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:03:10 am

thank you Neal, reading..

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:00:57 am

Thanks for the help guys,

Why should i use photoshop to scale the images? I can scale, adjust apect ratio etc in fcp..I guess smaller files will help my imac go faster as its sluggish working with some of these images. I am not zooming in any of them, i actually make them smaller and place them around canvas so i could scale them down in photoshop.
Could i scale them in Viewer or will photoshop produce better quality?

Rafael i am doing what u r saying thanks, i am using fcp own text gen. Is boring gonna be better with a simple bold font no fancy stuff?
Or do i need to mess with outlines etc..?

Return to posts index

Sebastian Lloyd
on Dec 9, 2011 at 11:39:57 am

Might be that you've not set pixel aspect to square.

Make sure you've got square pixels selected on a prores sequence, HD 1920x1080. It's usually when you've got odd shaped pixels (DV, DV anamorphic) that text looks awful.

Also, make sure you use a nice font. Those which are too thin or too serif-y can look terrible.

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 9, 2011 at 1:47:37 pm

I think i fixed it. I ve created a ProRes HQ 1920x1080 timeline and after resizing some of the large pics (i resized them close to 1920x1080 as i wont be zooming in at all), ticked a couple of things that Rafael suggested, set pixel to square and now yes when i export at these setting text and images are pristine. What a relief..

I used apple's Preview (sorry not "viewer" i called it before) to resize them and i am curious to know if Photoshop would provide better quality when resizing...) ?

One other thing i want to clarify is this: To obtain best picture quality i believe my video should be at the same resolution as the Tv screen it ll be played on right? i.e. native resolution. Remember these videos will be playing looped at a large lcd screen in a waiting room. So if these are Full HD then that res is 1920x1080 correct?

thank you all for the device. :)

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:03:49 pm

[anastasis lazos] " i am curious to know if Photoshop would provide better quality when resizing...) ?"
Quite better than FC.
FC have never been too good for up/downscaling picture.
His shortcomings are more noticeable when dealing with stills.

[anastasis lazos] "One other thing i want to clarify is this: To obtain best picture quality i believe my video should be at the same resolution as the Tv screen it ll be played on right? i.e. native resolution. Remember these videos will be playing looped at a large lcd screen in a waiting room. So if these are Full HD then that res is 1920x1080 correct?"
If you are making 1920x1080 you will get the best quality in an screen with, unless, the same dimension.
If possible set the screen "1:1" so each picture pixel will be represented by one screen picture.
rafael

Return to posts index

anastasis lazos
on Dec 9, 2011 at 4:38:24 pm

Will photoshop be better than Preview or other cheap image software for resizing and processing photos? I resized my images using Preview as i dont have photoshop installed.

And also when you say "set the screen 1:1" what setting are you exactly referring to?

thanks again!

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 9, 2011 at 5:09:52 pm

[anastasis lazos] "Will photoshop be better than Preview or other cheap image software for resizing and processing photos? "
Sure.
Photoshop has different interpolation options.
preview is much more basic.

[anastasis lazos] "And also when you say "set the screen 1:1" what setting are you exactly referring to?"
You need to look in the device menu.
If your screen is bigger than 1920x1080 should have that option which prevents any upscaling made by the very screen.
The normal factory setting are a kind of "fit to window".
In my Dell menu, I have Display Setting > Wide mode > 1:1.
rafael

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]