FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to master 1920x1080 sequence to SD DVD using a SONY Tape Deck as an intermediary

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bijoyini Chatterjee
Trying to master 1920x1080 sequence to SD DVD using a SONY Tape Deck as an intermediary
on Dec 8, 2011 at 3:51:43 pm

Hello,
Any help on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

I have a 1920x1080 30p (Compressor: XDCAM EX) sequence that I need to convert into a SD DVD! Exporting the sequence using Apple ProRes 422 1920x1080 30p and using compressor to compress into DVD format makes the video look worse than if it were shot in SD DV.

Someone suggested that I copy the 1920x1080 timeline to a 720x480 anamorphic 16:9 timeline. Render. Export. Compress. It works well but takes a huge amount of time for a 47 min video and an enormous amount of disk space.

Another editor suggested that I use my SONY HDV/DVCAM 1080i deck to convert the footage to HDV (1440 x 1080 60i) and then recapture into a 720x480 anamorphic timeline (to save time and disk space). However, I can't get to "Print to Tape". It gives me the error that "Sequence is not compatible with Print to Video". "Edit to Tape" also gives a sequence not compatible error.

I am on:
Mac OX 10.6.8
3.06 Intel Dual Core
4GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 2.0 (FCP Version 7.0)

Here are my FCP A/V settings:

http://www.oniricaproductions.com

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Trying to master 1920x1080 sequence to SD DVD using a SONY Tape Deck as an intermediary
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:47:46 pm

I think it would be wise to describe in detail how you made the DVD, and what you used as the playback and display devices when you viewed it.

You may have made errors there, and it would be a lot easier to fix them than it would be to use the annoying process you describe.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Trying to master 1920x1080 sequence to SD DVD using a SONY Tape Deck as an intermediary
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:56:33 pm

So many people with very different suggestions. Some workflows work and others don't. To create an SD DVD, use this workflow.

Export your timeline using Export QuickTime Movie. You will have the option to create a self contained movie in it's native format. If not, you will be creating a reference movie.

Drop that file into Compressor and find a DVD 60 min. MPEG-2 preset. You will also want to create an AC3 file for audio. For exact instructions on settings look in the manual (HELP tab).

Hit submit. When finished, open DVDSP and create your DVD.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

Bijoyini Chatterjee
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:38:58 pm

Hi,
The workflow that Steve mentioned is causing a serious degradation in quality (worse than if I were to shoot in DV). I learned, from another post on CreativeCow, that FCP and COMPRESSOR has serious problems in downgrading from 1920x1080 to 720x480.

The steps I mentioned make a big difference in quality but takes so much of time.

Thanks,
--Bijoyini

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:51:15 pm

How does the ProRes 422 file look when you import it into FCP and view it on a video monitor?

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bijoyini Chatterjee
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:12:33 pm

The exported file from the 1920 X 1080 30p timeline? It looks great on my video monitor!
The downgrade happens when I use COMPRESSOR!

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2011 at 6:31:23 pm

[Bijoyini Chatterjee] "The downgrade happens when I use COMPRESSOR!"

Then perhaps you can explain how people successfully make standard-definition, widescreen DVDs on a daily basis from HD files using Compressor without having to resort to videotape.

You may have a field order problem, which looks like degreded resolution. Even though you shot progressive-scan, your video is recorded as two fields at 1080. It's a long shot, but it's not impossible. You may have to use Compressor's Frame controls to sort it out. You may have to check how FCP dealt with the footage's field order.
You may simply be seeing the difference between High-Definition and Standard-Definition video. We can't see what you see.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Bijoyini Chatterjee
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:45:01 pm

I have been told by several professionals from studio houses in Boston that they don't use COMPRESSER (the program that comes with the Final Cut Suite).
They use hardware/software options that are very expensive. Anyways, thanks for your input -- another editor on another forum has a solution.

Return to posts index

Miriam Lefkowitz
on Dec 20, 2011 at 3:57:22 pm

I printed a FCP XDCAM sequence to a sony HDV DVCAM deck and then created a SD DVD using our Pioneer PRV-LXI. I also brought the XDCAM movie directly into Compressor - used the DVD settings - and then created a DVD in DVDSP using the internal DVD drive in our Mac Pro. Last but not least, I brought the XDCAM mov file directly into DVDSP, by-passing Compressor, and authorized the DVD again in our internal DVD drive.

The HD movie looks better on Vimeo than any of the DVD's I created. Unfortunately I have clients who demand DVD's. The best looking DVD so far came from using Compressor's DVD settings and then authorizing in DVDSP (change settings to two-pass VBR in DVDSP). The piece looks pretty fair.

I still have to experiment printing from the Mac Pro to the PRV-LX1 directly. I am just pessimistic and annoyed about this whole process. Our exquisite HD XDCAM footage will never look decent on a SD DVD. The footage from our SD Sony Camera looks spectacular on a DVD. Much much better than the dumbed down HD footage.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:18:46 pm

[Miriam Lefkowitz] "The HD movie looks better on Vimeo than any of the DVD's I created."

Yes, it probably will. It's a matter of resolution and the size at which the pixels are being displayed.

Vimeo, I believe, is 1280x720 and it's a comparatively small picture on a computer monitor: very sharp-looking. DVD's, on the other hand, are 720x480 and normally played on a TV set; the total picture is much bigger than the higher-resolution and smaller picture on the web.

You can't make a DVD look like HD video because it's SD video.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Miriam Lefkowitz
on Dec 20, 2011 at 4:22:55 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "You can't make a DVD look like HD video because it's SD video."

I know. Hence the pessimism and annoyance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]