FORUMS: list search recent posts

Audio drift in Final Cut 6.06

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Terry Losardo
Audio drift in Final Cut 6.06
on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:17:46 pm

I shot interviews with a Canon 60D set for 1080p30 drop frame 29.97.

Then used Compressor to transcode the H264 original files to XDCAM EX 1080p30 (audio 48Kh/16 bit), still drop frame 29.97.

I set up a 1080p30 XDCAM EX project in Final Cut 6.06 still drop frame 29.97 and audio at 48Kh/16 bit.

When I open the transcoded files in Quicktime or in Finder (using space bar), they are in sync.

When I import the files into FCP 6.06, however, they drift and get more and more out of sync the longer the clip.

I am not talking about double system audio - the audio that drifts out of sync is the audio recorded on the H264 original file in the Canon.

I am also not talking about clips exported to other programs that once sunc in FCP.

Not sure what is going on.

One clue: my workstation is a dual PowerMac G5 (non Intel chip). I visited a friend and my transcoded files exhibited the same problems I describe here when he played them on his 8-core/FCP 7 machine.

However, when we transcoded the source files on his system, using the identical workflow, no problem.

Another clue: For the project, I also shot and transcoded (using same settings and devices) footage from a FLIP camcorder. These files stayed in sync.

Any idea how I might amend the workflow in my system to avoid this issue with Canon source footage? (Buying a newer Mac and updating to FCP 7 still a few months away.)

(PS - I began life recording double system in film with a Nagra around my neck and have synced miles of workprint. What bugs me about his problem is that it's not trying to sync 2 different tracks - it occurs within the source audio.)

Thanks so much for any help or guidance.
Terry L
Charlotte, NC

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Audio drift in Final Cut 6.06
on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:40:10 pm

I would not recommend changing the video from H.264 for XDCAM. Use Compressor to convert the H.264 to ProRes don't changed the frame rate.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]