FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best workflow for large QT files to 2 layer dvd?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Day
Best workflow for large QT files to 2 layer dvd?
on Dec 8, 2011 at 5:30:09 am

Best settings from FCP to DVD SD dual layer. Have tried to compress many ways and on a tv it looks...bad. The video is only 01:47:03 it is 1280x720p and is 47.44 gigs. In DVD pro, I am told that the bit rate is to high and have tried lower than default to no avail. Any takers?

Thanks,
Scott

Scott Day FilmWorks

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Best workflow for large QT files to 2 layer dvd?
on Dec 8, 2011 at 2:42:38 pm

You want to resize your video footage to SD before encoding a DVD. Follow the workflow outlined in this Article that I wrote about transferring your HD video to DVD.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Scott Day
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:51:27 am

Thanks Brad,

Great article, found answers to some of the problems. I am curious about the Dual layer single side DVD. From FCP I exported a 1280x720 89.13 gig file to QT. I added this asset into DVD-StudioPro after processing, it shows the asset as 83.01 gig.

Although the settings are set for DL the estimated size in the inspector shows 3.8 gigs. I would like to understand the process of using the full capacity of the dual, especially if there is improvement to the finished DVD quality. I also had the same QT asset in compressor and created a mpeg2, H264, all created large gig files and once imported into DVDSP they were reduced to under 4 gigs. The resolution has also been reset to 720x480i? I am happy to see the result as it plays well on set top and computer, I just cant help but wonder how to process the big video files so that I can use the 7-8 gig DVD's and if there is an advantage. So much conflicting info out there.

I am trying to hone in on a workflow that works for me. I am shooting DVCPROHD720p60 on a Panasonic HVX200a and searching for the best possible DVD output for clients. As I am learning Motion, I have been working with 1920x1080 frames and importing them into the FCP timeline. Should I reduce the motion size to more closely match the Panasonic source of 960x720 to gain better text rendering?

I hope this is no to vague for an engineer type.
Thanks,

Scott

Scott Day FilmWorks

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 9, 2011 at 3:59:33 pm

I would avoid using 60p as a format for eventual transfer to DVD. It's going to be converted to 29.97 during the encoding process. Unless you are doing some trick slow motion, you want to stick with the lowest frame rate possible. The HVX200 has a widescreen standard definition sensor. It is not a true HD camera. Therefore, I'd would recommend keeping it at 720p to avoid resizing artifacts in the video.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Scott Day
on Dec 10, 2011 at 2:21:07 am

Thank you Brad, great advice.

Scott

Scott Day FilmWorks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]