FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting HD Footage to SD Footage Broadcast Television

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joey Salpietro
Converting HD Footage to SD Footage Broadcast Television
on Dec 8, 2011 at 12:49:06 am

I am shooting and editing a broadcast show, the final clip they want in 720x486 Uncompressed 8 Bit.

Can I shoot in 16:9 and convert into SD 720x486 without having the black lines in the Canvas on top and bottom.

Or are my only options in this situation- 1. Stretch the footage to cover top and bottom black areas.

2. Shoot in SD format?

I was kind of hoping to use my 7D for this shoot as well then convert it to 720x486. If not I can use my other camera which can shoot SD 4:3 but I believe the output for that is going to be 720x480

Then when pulling in my footage should I convert it to 720x486 uncompressed 8 bit and make the timeline with those parameters.

Some recommendations?

Thanks
Joey

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Converting HD Footage to SD Footage Broadcast Television
on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:23:36 am

You dont have to letterbox to get HD to SD. You can use centre cut out.
So in effect you lose the right hand and left hand sides of the shot.

You would have to shoot to take this into account or use a bit of pan and scan in your edit. Remember dont stretch the pics upwards - zoom in equally once you drop a shot into an SD sequence - which will letterbox by default.

I would probably do this:

Since you are shooting it all in HD you can just edit it in an HD sequence, ProRes like you usually would. When you have picture lock drop it into an SD 720x486 sequence set up as 8bit uncompressed as required and then adjust the shots to fit full frame as you require and render out just your final sequence.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Joey Salpietro
on Dec 8, 2011 at 1:48:17 am

Hey Neil,
Thanks for responding. I am also using other footage not shot by me in 720x486 (which was shot 16:9 but the other editor stretched it, looks terrible too, but that's what im working with)

Do you think its best to shoot SD with the one camera that can.

Then only have to do deal with the other camera that shoots only HD to Convert to the SD?

So in your above solution- I would start editing the HD footage in the time line 1280x720 Apple Pro Res 422 HQ lets then create a new sequence with the 720x486 uncompress. 8 bit settings then just copy and drop it in the timeline as I go? Scale the image up, then render? Correct. What about the other footage that is 720x486 in between the HD footage?

Thanks for the help!
Sorry for all the questions...trying to see this one through
Joey
Joey

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 8, 2011 at 4:57:36 pm

Commercial broadcast TV stations regularly run HD programs on their SD channels, and broadcast SD can ONLY be 4x3, no ifs, ands or buts.

How is that possible? HD program producers keep the 4x3 screen aspect ratio in mind as they shoot and edit the programs. Then it's no problem to center punch it.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:16:34 pm

Ah I didnt realise you had SD footage too that kind of changes things as you dont want to upres that to HD only to downres it again - that would just add to your work and have to worry about getting frame sizes right though several changes of SD/HD/SD

I think I would take a view - if you have say 90% HD and just a bit of SD then you could do what I suggest and then replace the SD shots once you go to the SD sequence so they are not pushed and pulled all over the place.

However if you have 50/50 between what you shoot and what you already have then shooting 4x3 is looking more attractive.

I guess it would mean that the shots the other guy messed with wont look quite so bad compared to what you shoot when his shots are next to your pristine HD footage :-)

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

Joey Salpietro
on Dec 9, 2011 at 1:40:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. My footage looks so good from yesterday lol. I shot everything in HD, and without a doubt the other footage is going to look terrible by mine, but by the 3 rd show they want me taking over everything so hopefully we get it all dialed in and the same by then.

So I will have the old footage I have to use in the time line. Make the segments in HD, and drop it in the SD sequence as I go and scale it up.
When I shot I made sure there was head room and side room for the crop.

I still can't believe a major broadcast station like FOX is asking for 4:3....strange to me.!

Thanks for everyone's help.
J

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]