FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stupid is as stupid does.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Davis
Stupid is as stupid does.
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:37:10 pm

This may be a stupid question... I know, no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people that ask them... anyhooo

DVCPro 50... when I've exported at DVCPro 50 (please don't ask why, but it HAS to be DVCPro 50), I look at the exported file and see that even though the source is 1280X720 Progressive, the size comes out to 720X480 stretched to 853X480. Is this because D50 is not an HD codec? I've entered in the correct size, yet it still comes up an SD screen size. Any input would be appreciated.

Scott
OSX 10.5.5
Quad 2.5Ghz
8.5 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 7.03
HPX 2000

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Stupid is as stupid does.
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:40:22 pm

DVCPro50 is SD and therefore 720x480.

DVCProHD or DVCPro100 (the same codec, only the name has been changed to protect the innocent) is what you need for output of an HD file.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 7, 2011 at 4:46:33 pm

Thanks for responding, that's what I thought... however, FCP allows me to select my output size (which I had at 1280X720). We have one of our offices that for whatever reason, can't send us HD, but have to output to DVCPRO50. I guess I don't have all the info as to 'why', but that's the best they can do. Maybe they haven't upgraded beyond FCP1- or maybe they have FCE... not really sure.

Is codec more than just how it's processed and also inclusive to the size?

Scott
OSX 10.5.5
Quad 2.5Ghz
8.5 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 7.03
HPX 2000

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:02:18 pm

[Scott Davis] "Is codec more than just how it's processed and also inclusive to the size?"

Affirmative!

The pixel dimensions of SD NTSC max out at 720x480 for the digital formats, 720x486 for the analog formats. Even anamorphic SD is recorded as above, they just display differently.

Of course, HD can only be 720p (1280x720), 1080i and 1080p (1920x1080). The anamorphic HD formats display as above, but are recorded at squeezed sizes.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:31:43 pm

DVCPro 50, huh?

To my knowledge, there's no such thing as anamorphic DVCPro 50; thus, no option for 16x9 playback. It's plain ol' 4x3 SD video. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

But if I'm right, and if you edited in 16x9 HD, you have a choice to make: Letterbox or Center Punch.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:38:42 pm

Again, thanks for the response... I'm just the schlep who's picking this up on the back end. I do know that you can shoot DVCPro 50 in 16X9 and edit anamorphically... we did it 6 years ago when we first got a DVCPro camera, an SDX900. I just don't understand why Apple would give the option to change the export size in an SD format if it can't be done. Must just be one of those things that were overlooked.

I appreciate you guys getting back to me and confirming what I already believed. Now, if you could help me out with the Tooth Fairy, that would be great.

Scott

Scott
OSX 10.5.5
Quad 2.5Ghz
8.5 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 7.03
HPX 2000

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:47:51 pm

Oh, when I was a kid the Tooth Fairy stood 6-foot-3, weighed 245 and when not occupied with Tooth Fairying chores went by the name of Dad.

I learned the Awful Truth one sleepless night after I lost one of the bottom front teeth.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Scott Davis
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:50:26 pm

Okay... you totally blew that one for me!

Scott
OSX 10.5.5
Quad 2.5Ghz
8.5 GB RAM
Final Cut Studio 7.03
HPX 2000

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 7, 2011 at 5:53:40 pm

[Dave LaRonde] "To my knowledge, there's no such thing as anamorphic DVCPro 50; thus, no option for 16x9 playback. It's plain ol' 4x3 SD video. I hope someone will correct me if I'm wrong."

You asked for it Dave... But, I hate to tell people they're wrong, so let's just say that in this one instance you're not correct. :)

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
Los Angeles

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 7, 2011 at 6:07:06 pm

[David Roth Weiss] "....in this one instance you're not correct."

Well, that's good to know, and good news for our pal Scott: Compressor ought to do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]