FORUMS: list search recent posts

Log and Transfer in DVCPro in FCP 6?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Nick Rood
Log and Transfer in DVCPro in FCP 6?
on Dec 7, 2011 at 12:35:27 am

Hello!

Pretty simple question here, hopefully a yes or no answer...

When you go into the Log and Transfer preferences in FCP 6, under the P2-AVC Intra drop down menu I only have the ability to capture in ProRes or ProRes HQ. But in the same drop down menu in FCP 7 I have options such as DVCPro, native, etc...

Is there a codec or something I'm missing that FCP 6 needs to gain these options? Or does it just make more sense to attempt the upgrade to 7 on that machine?

Thanks!!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Log and Transfer in DVCPro in FCP 6?
on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:10:15 am

FCP 6 only has two flavors of ProRes...422 and HQ. FCP 7 has ProRes Proxy, LT, 422, HQ and 4444. FCP 7 also has the ability to bring in AVCIntra native...although there are no sequence settings for it, so you'd have to use ProRes settings and render the footage when done. I just convert.

So...if you use FCP 6, your choices are only ProRes 422 and ProRes HQ. DO NOT import the footage in FCP 7 as Proxy, LT, 4444 or native if you intend to edit this with FCP 6. Things will not go smooth...most often won't work.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Nick Rood
on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:15:34 am

Fair enough. We actually run a fairly large operation and have ultimately decided to use DVCPro instead of ProRes (our content ends up online, anyway).

For a variety of reasons we've had to start logging using FCP6 (we were using FCP 7 previously, which allows for the use of DVCPro when logging P2s) and was just hoping to save us from the added converting step....

Thanks for the help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 7, 2011 at 1:40:39 am

P2 can either be DVCPRO HD or AVCIntra. And yes, you can convert AVCintra to DVCPRO HD. I forgot about that part. I tend not to, as AVCIntra is 10-bit, full raster, and DVCPRO HD is 8-bit anamorphic. So loss of quality there.

But it works for the web.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]