FORUMS: list search recent posts

colors washing out

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Peter Meilleur
colors washing out
on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:10:34 pm

I'm editing a spot in SD (4:3) that requires me to do some pan and scan with photographs that were sent to me. The spot was originally made by a different production company in town. When I export the spot, the colors look very washed out upon export through compressor. I've tried a variety of different codecs (H264, Apple Pro Res, DVCPRO50, Uncompressed 8 & 10 bit) all with the same results in terms of the color. If I open the spot on my desktop and then open one of the photos and do a comparison, they look very washed out. The images are tifs around 2000x1500 pixels, square pixel aspect ratio, and rgb color.. The original spot is in quicktime H264. The only filter I have on the photos is a mild gaussian blur (set at .25) to help with aliasing.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: colors washing out
on Dec 6, 2011 at 10:58:29 pm

I'd start by getting that other production company to send the spot in a proper codec for FCP, and not H.264. ProRes 422, DVCPro 50... you know the list.

Is it a Windows shop with no FCP? Quicktime's PNG codec is lossless, and you can convert it confidently to your edit codec.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]