FORUMS: list search recent posts

Stabilizing Images in Photo Series

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Kian McKellar
Stabilizing Images in Photo Series
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:42:49 pm

I've got a series of photos that were taken by a photographer. The photos include a burst section where if you set the photos in serial it seems like video. Unfortunately these photos tend to move around. I was hoping for a way to stabilize the photos using a tracking point or stabilization software but unsure how I would do that with photos.

Thanks for the help beforehand. Tried searching but I think I'm missing the right keywords because I keep getting just video stabilization hits.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Stabilizing Images in Photo Series
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:49:06 pm

There's a motion stabilizer in Motion, and Motion will work with image sequences. I'm not sure how you set the sequence's frame rate, but it's in there someplace.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:53:33 pm

I would export a self contained QT file of the problematic section of the timeline, then reimport that section and add it to the timeline and use the Smoothcam filter on that clip. Smoothcam is hardly perfect, it might do the job for you.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:07:15 pm

Dave:
I'm unfamiliar with motion but I might check it out for this. I'm more familiar with After Effects and the steady cam feature in there so I might try that first. It is an idea worth following up with.

David:
Tried that first and it had mixed results. It looked better but the image definitely drifted at points because it was trying to follow each picture. Tried exporting the export after your message and applying again but no luck. Thought if you had a similar idea it might have merit to pursue further but not quite what I want. Thanks for the suggestion.

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:18:38 pm

I don't know how far off the framing on these pictures are from each other, so automatic stablilization could be a tough for AE, too. But you could always position them by hand. Tedious, but possible.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:37:56 pm

I might resort to that but it is more fun to learn something new. *grin*

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:44:53 pm

Just a different approach, not sure if it's better... export the frames to photoshop, set opacity to 50%, get the "onion-skin" effect of seeing thru all the layers, Then just use the mouse to line up the frames around a common point all in one stack. Batch action to craop and re-save them, you have your aligned shot sequence.

The stacking could also be done in Apple Motion, which is far easier for first time users I think than AE.

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:53:18 am

Does that have any advantage over reducing the opacity in Final Cut itself?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 7, 2011 at 3:55:16 am

Yes; in FCP you would need to add a video track for each layer and graphic, which could rapidly become unwieldy.

Return to posts index

Kian McKellar
on Dec 14, 2011 at 8:13:44 pm

Thanks, I try that.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]