FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trouble capturing HD quality from HDV tapes in Final Cut 6

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Vanderbrook
Trouble capturing HD quality from HDV tapes in Final Cut 6
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:02:04 pm

I'm trying to import footage from HDV tape through a Sony HVR-V1 into Final Cut 6. I've researched all of the capture settings, and no matter what I do the footage will not capture in HD. My end product is always 720x480. I used Easy Set-up and tried all sorts of combinations of HD and HDV settings with the same result every time. While capturing, the camera is reading "DV out" which is I would also assume is a problem. When I pause it reads "HDV in" but as soon as I start playing it reads "DV out."

I'm using a 4-pin to 6-pin firwire cable, editing on a 2007 Macbook Pro in Final Cut 6.0.6. Unfortunately I didn't shoot the footage and the person who did is somewhat clueless, but based on the camera's current recording set-up is I believe it was shot in 1080i. Does anything jump out at anyone in terms of me doing something incorrectly?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trouble capturing HD quality from HDV tapes in Final Cut 6
on Dec 6, 2011 at 6:33:23 pm

Gotta go into the menus on the camera and look for what the output is set to. I know on decks you can set the output to DV or HDV. Might have the same option in the camera. It seems to only be sending out DV, not HDV. Camera issue, not FCP.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Miriam Lefkowitz
on Dec 6, 2011 at 7:22:11 pm

What about using the HDMI output on the camera?

Return to posts index

Brett Vanderbrook
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:47:39 pm

Solved. It was, as expected, a camera issue. In the settings there's something called i.Link compression (or something to that effect) and it needs to be switched off. I also re-booted everything after making those changes and the footage finally started capturing in HD. Thanks!

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:38:11 pm

You should be able to tell the format for the recording by looking top left of the viewfinder just under the battery meter.
If it is HD it should say 1080i - it may also say DVCam or DV in which case your recording is not HD

Also as Shane points out it can also be set to downres HDV to DV so look at the iLink menu and see if that has been set to convert, If the viewfinder says 1080i but it is outputting DV then this is the reason.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]