FORUMS: list search recent posts

TIFF files long render

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joe Booko
TIFF files long render
on Dec 6, 2011 at 12:31:38 am

Hi, I've recently begun to incorporate overlay graphics into my videos. I make the image using Adobe Photoshop, rasterize it, then save it as a TIFF file. It looks great over my video, but the render time seems longer than it should be, considering it's just one graphic throughout the entire video, and it takes up a fraction of the screen. The video I use is H.264, so the render for a 20 minute video is about 2 minutes because it only needs to render the audio. But when I put a picture overlay on it, the render time for the 20 minute video jumps to 3 hours! I just get the feeling that I should be doing something different or something is wrong. I have repaired permissions and trashed FCP preferences, and I saw no change. I have a 15" 2011 MacBook Pro 2.0 GHz Intel Core i7 processor, quad core, 4GB RAM. If anyone can let me know if this seems about right or if I can get the render time down, thank you!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: TIFF files long render
on Dec 6, 2011 at 1:12:04 am

Your issue is that you are using H.264 sequence settings...and I am guessing H.264 footage as well. That is what you are doing wrong. FCP doesn't like to work with H.264 settings and media. Renders will take a LONG time.

Convert to ProRes. Edit in a ProRes sequence

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Joe Booko
Re: TIFF files long render
on Dec 9, 2011 at 12:38:33 am

Thanks for the advice! I tried using ProRes, and the render time went down to only a few minutes. The only problem now is that the file size jumped from 24GB to 59GB using ProRes. So I guess I just have to decide what is more important to me, hard drive space or time? Haha, but thanks again for your help.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]