FORUMS: list search recent posts

Super8 footage in HD timeline?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Will Eliot
Super8 footage in HD timeline?
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:13:25 pm

Hi there,

I've just edited a short video using FCP 6 that was shot on a 5d at 24fps. The footage is in pro res 422 HQ. Now I need to add a sequence that was shot on a super 8 camera at 18fps, and I am about to have this film processed. I'm wondering how I should have the film digitized so that it will work alongside the 5d footage. If I have an SD transfer, will I be able to import this footage to my HD timeline? I've read that this is possible but can result in the Super 8 footage being very small compared to the HD stuff. I've heard of some places offering super8 HD transfers, is this the way to go? And will the difference in frame rates present any problems? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you,

Will

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Super8 footage in HD timeline?
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:22:45 pm

Either get the Super 8 telecined to HD (although what HD tape format can you capture?)...HD file if they can do it. Or, if telecined to SD, then you would need to upconvert the footage. Best way is via a capture card, like the AJA Kona line, or Matrox MXO2 line...that do hardware upconverts. Or capture as SD, and use Compressor to upconvert. Set all the FRAME CONTROLS to BEST.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Will Eliot
on Dec 5, 2011 at 6:42:35 pm

Thanks Shane. I guess if I send a portable hard drive, they can do an HD transfer straight to the drive. It's considerably more expensive than an SD transfer though, so I will look into the other methods you recommended. Thanks again,

W

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:17:32 pm

The other method would require buying a capture card...having the machine it will work with. Having a tape deck compatible with the tape format you capture from...

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Brent Dunn
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:25:52 pm

They can upconvert your footage to HD. Just tell them the same format and frame rate and you'll be good to go. There's a company in California that does this, not sure who, but google it.

Brent Dunn
Owner / Director / Editor
DunnRight Films
DunnRight Video.com
Video Marketing Toolbox.net

Sony EX-1,
Canon 5D Mark II
Canon 7D
Mac Pro Tower, Quad Core,
with Final Cut Studio

HP i7 Quad laptop
Adobe CS-5 Production Suite

Return to posts index

Seth Parker
on Dec 6, 2011 at 2:34:05 pm

You've probably google'd this at this point, but I've used http://www.pro8mm.com/ and was very pleased with their service and results.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]