FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting synced clips to use in other NLE

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Powell
Exporting synced clips to use in other NLE
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:31:00 am

Hi,

I am taking on a project that was synced in final cut pro. My plan is to cut it in Avid though. What would be the best way to export the synced clips so that I would not have to resync them in avid from the 5d files?

Is there a way to do an Avid type of "consolidate"? that would make new quicktime clips with the sync?

Return to posts index

Bouke Vahl
Re: Exporting synced clips to use in other NLE
on Dec 5, 2011 at 10:54:01 am

Consolidate equivalent is called 'media manage' in FCP.
Basicly the same idea.

Bouke

http://www.videotoolshed.com/
smart tools for video pros

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:13:23 pm

Export an XML file.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:20:33 pm

Avid doesn't do XML.

Synch'd clips in FCP...for editing in Avid? Why did you do this to yourself? Now you have a lot of work ahead. Gotta get Automatic Duck Pro Export. Then string out allllllll of the sync'd clips into a sequence. Then export via the Duck to AAF, transcoding the footage to Avid media (as going to Avid from FCP via the Duck will not link to the footage via AMA) import that into the Avid...break it up into separate clips.

And hope it all worked out. Or you will have to re-export, tweak things...try to get things done right.

OR...start over and do it in the Avid. That is my suggestion. ALWAYS prep the footage for the NLE you will be editing with.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Richard van Harderwijk
on Dec 5, 2011 at 2:26:38 pm

The good news is that Automatic Duck is for free now

http://www.automaticduck.com/thankyou/

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:30:46 pm

I didn't synch the clips. They were already done in Final Cut when I was offered the job. My plan was to start over with Avid, but I thought if FC had a consolidate feature like avid does then it should create new quicktime clips out of those which have already been synced. Instead of leaving them as separate pointers. And maybe I could skip the synching step.

Does media manage copy the "pointing data" only or does/can it make new quicktime files of the synched clips

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:33:54 pm

[David Powell] "but I thought if FC had a consolidate feature like avid does then it should create new quicktime clips out of those which have already been synced. Instead of leaving them as separate pointers."

Sorry...The MEDIA MANAGER will copy the files, move the files, recompress the files, but leave the audio and video separate.

[David Powell] "Does media manage copy the "pointing data" only or does/can it make new quicktime files of the synched clips"

It'll move the files, and make new POINTING DATA clips.

Either edit with FCP, or redo in Avid.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Powell
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:42:01 pm

Ok, I figured as much but just wanted to make sure I wasn't doing double work for nothing. Thanks for the info.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]