FORUMS: list search recent posts

mac laptop specs for smooth final cut pro heavy usage

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
finbar taub
mac laptop specs for smooth final cut pro heavy usage
on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:10:43 am

Sorry if this has been overposted to death - but I couldnt find anything specific. So i need a new mac laptop - needs to run FCP. Im looking at the macbook pros: 2.4 Ghz intel quad core, AMD radeon graphics processor. Wondering if 4 GIGs of RAM would be a problem at all, or if i should just get the 8. The hard drive stock is 750 GB 5400, but can be upgraded to 7200 for an extra 50$.

I use FCP for my business - I shoot instructional videos in HD and use motion and soundtrack pro quite a bit. No multicam shoots.

So, I know some folks use Laptops with FCP - but I would love to know if the above system would run it smooth, or would it add more stress to my life. Right now i'm using a new 2.7 GIG imac with 4 gig ram, and it works great.

thanks so much for all your help!

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: mac laptop specs for smooth final cut pro heavy usage
on Dec 5, 2011 at 3:18:28 am

Get the most RAM you can. And the internal drive speed doesn't matter all that much, because you won't be storing your media on it, but rather an external drive. At least Firewire 800...and it should be a RAIDED FW800 drive, like the Caldigit Mini VR or similar. Because you want SMOOTH playback. Single FW800 drive might drop frames occasionally.

Best to get an eSATA external, but that requires you get the 17" MBP...with the Express34 slot. OR...get a laptop with THunderbolt and a Thunderbolt drive. That'll do.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

finbar taub
Re: mac laptop specs for smooth final cut pro heavy usage
on Dec 5, 2011 at 7:41:50 pm

thanks! ill check out the external drives for sure -

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]