FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro X

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Lasdon
Final Cut Pro X
on Dec 4, 2011 at 8:26:23 pm

You guys have been very helpful, so I hope I can get help one more time.

I was happily using Final Cut Pro 6 until I started having system problems with Snow Leopard. After two weeks and numerous genius bar trips they finally decided to install Lion. That worked and I was happy. Until I found out that I couldn't use Final Cut Pro 6! Apple created an OS that wouldn't run an Apple program.

I heard a lot of badmouthing Final Cut Pro X, but it was mostly its inability to do all the bells and whistles. I'm directing a documentary and not becoming a director. All I want to do is basic editing of things my editor works on.

So I bought a new computer because my Macbook didn't have Firewire. I purchased Final Cut Pro X only to find out that not only is everything different than Final Cut Pro 6 and that I can't use it, but that it's incompatible with previous Final Cut Pro programs. Thus, I can't open my editor's files. I just realized that even if I wanted to start over from scratch any editor that I'd work with would use Final Cut Pro 7. Thus, whatever I'd do would be worthless. He or she would have to start from scratch.

I'm at a complete loss. I have a program that I can't understand that won't open my files and no way to do the work I want to do. I don't have a computer with Snow Leopard and it'd be unfeasible for me to go work on someone else's computer. I need to work on mine in the evening hours.

I'm pretty sure I'm royally screwed.

Thanks,
David

Return to posts index

Nate Stephens
Re: Final Cut Pro X
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:30:13 pm

Bite the bullet and buy a copy of the latest FCP7. I got mine from Apple Business 1-800 Sales. They are the only Apple that sells FCP7 The other departments have never heard of it, ( cause it is not on their screens.)

It took me two days to find them... good luck... This guy knows FCP7

Jay Radley
Apple Store for Business
Inside Sales/AMR
800-409-5381 32031 | Fax: 866-758-7713 | jradley@apple.com
Hours: 8:00AM-5:00PM PT Mon.-Fri.

FCP, Mac Pro, Mac Book Pro, HPX500, HVX200, Betacam, Dvcam
Write for the Edit, Shoot for the Edit, Edit.....KISS Principle

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:36:54 pm

Everyone told me that I couldn't get Final Cut Pro 7. Is this the right thing to buy?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:53:03 pm

Yes, get FCS 3 (FCP 7). Try to call Apple direct...they are selling it via call only. If you can't do that, then yes, eBay is the next best place.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Dec 4, 2011 at 9:56:29 pm

I have 6.0.6. Will either of these be fine for me?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 4, 2011 at 10:00:53 pm

Both seem to be full versions...not upgrade. I'm dubious of the price...seems low.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Lasdon
on Dec 4, 2011 at 10:02:17 pm

Of course it's low. They're selling it second hand. Which one do you recommend I buy or are they both okay?

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Dec 4, 2011 at 10:23:56 pm

If you have 6.06 you can either buy an upgrade or a full version.
If you buy an upgrade then you just load that - when it comes to entering the serial number it will first ask for the FCP3 (V7) serial, recognise that as an upgrade and ask for your FCP2(V6) serial.

Or if you buy a full version - just load it and it wont ask for the 2nd serial number.

The software itself is identical in both cases and there is no need to load the V6 first (you cant anyway on Lion without a lot of hassle and meessing about with Rosetta) you just need the serial.

Hope that clarifies it.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

matthew bradshaw
on Dec 5, 2011 at 8:54:18 am

However ... FCP7 is apparently the end of the line for FCP as we knew it. It is going to gradually fade into obsolescence over the next few years so it may not be a wise investment. Of course if you have to have it then you have to. It may be worth talking with the people you work with to check if they are going to be swapping to Avid or Adobe in the near future.
Matt.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]