FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Progressive/interlaced conversion?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anna Little
Final Cut Pro Progressive/interlaced conversion?
on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:39:32 am

Hello
I have what I hope is a simple question.
I'm a freelance video journo working in Africa - I use a Sony Z7 and recently was told by a European client that they couldn't accept my footage because it was filmed in progressive and they need interlaced.
I checked the camera settings and I indeed filmed on progressive (Scan Type 50). I thought I always used this as haven't changed any settings on the camera.
Is anyone able to enlighten me please on a) if the setting is incorrect and b) if it is - can it be converted to interlaced?
Have I been filming incorrectly by using progressive scan type 50 - should it be 25?
Thank you so much, Anna Little

Return to posts index

Steve Eisen
Re: Final Cut Pro Progressive/interlaced conversion?
on Dec 4, 2011 at 3:22:42 pm

720p is Progressive. 1080i is interlaced.

Steve Eisen
Eisen Video Productions
Vice President
Chicago Final Cut Pro Users Group

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 4, 2011 at 4:46:37 pm

The Sony Z7 doesn't record 720p but does 1080p. 1080p25 "fits" in 1080i50 just fine so it's odd they require 1080i. The future off broadcast is web and tablet devices which only supports progressive formats. Requiring interlace is very short sighted.

There's really no good way of converting 25p to 50i. You are missing half the temporal info. The only way would using optical flow to create 50 images out of 25. That's a tall order. You can try it in Compressor, After Effects or Twixtor. If there is a lot of moving/crossing objects in your footage you will get image tearing and warping as it tries to morph new images.

John Heagy

Return to posts index

Greg Ondera
on Dec 4, 2011 at 4:47:29 pm

Interesting they would want interlaced. I am an advocate of progressive as this shows up so much better on computers and LCD screens. In fact if you had shot interlaced then encoded it over to progressive, you would still likely have those artifacts of interlacing, the ringing, vibratory quality at the contrast edges and dark areas. And when encoding interlaced footage for the web, you're more likely to get step-casing with fast motions. Progressive is the general way to go with original footage in my opinion, depending on the level of the photographic needs, and to hand them interlaced footage, simply codec the footage over to interlaced for them using encoding software like Compressor or Episode or Squeeze. If you're a Mac person with FCP then simply bring the footage into a timeline and export it with custom interlaced settings. You should ask your client what editing or compositing software they are using and why they want to go interlaced. You might also ask them if they can handle progressive and codec it themselves.

Greg Ondera
http://www.Plexus.tv
http://www.SurgeonToday.org

Return to posts index

Anna Little
on Dec 4, 2011 at 8:17:44 pm

Thank you very much to all of you - that really helps and makes much more sense. I will go back to the broadcaster with your comments as they're likely to listen more now!

Anna Little

Return to posts index

Matt Scholes
on Nov 22, 2012 at 2:57:40 pm

Hi Anna,

did you resolve this in the end?

I currently have a broadcaster requesting delivery in 50i, but we shot 25p.

Did you just give them the 25p in the end? Or did you export out of fcp using 50i? And if so didthis work out okay?

If you aren't willing to change you shouldn't be editing" - Richard Marks

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]