FORUMS: list search recent posts

Converting HDV 60i and 24p for Multiclip

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Shafer
Converting HDV 60i and 24p for Multiclip
on Dec 4, 2011 at 11:10:09 am

I need to multiclip footage from 2 cameras, one shot in HDV 24p, and one shot in HDV 60i. My plan is to convert the HDV 60i to HDV 24p. The final product will be a standard-definition DVD.

I've run a couple experiments and read some google search results on converting. But so far, the simplest way I've found is to just take the 60i clip in the FCP browser, apply a de-interlace filter, and go Export > Quicktime Movie > HDV 1080p24. The resulting file multiclips successfully with the other 24p footage. The quality looks decent to my eye...

Any reason not to do it this way?

Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
Re: Converting HDV 60i and 24p for Multiclip
on Dec 4, 2011 at 2:12:36 pm

Check out Red Giant - Magic Bullet Frames. It'll convert your 60i footage to 24p but it can take a long time sometimes!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 4, 2011 at 4:53:45 pm

It depends on your goals. If you just want to match frame rate for multicam and preserve each camera's look I would add 3:2 to the 24p and turn it into 60i. If you want the 60i to look more like 24p then yes convert the 60i to 24p. Since your deliverable is SD you will need to add 3:2 to the 24p footage in the final seq regardless.

Return to posts index

Jim Shafer
on Dec 5, 2011 at 1:27:11 pm

Thanks for the info, guys.

Tony, Red Giant - Magic Bullet Frames is beyond the scope of this project. Thanks for the recommendation, though.

John: As you say, going back to an SD DvD makes converting the 24p to 60i more appealing. Running some tests, and using the "QT Export" option (not Compressor or QT Conversion or anything else) to to convert 24p to 60i (via the "HDV 1080i60 setting) yields a clip that, to my eye, looks quite good.

Is the 3:2 pulldown being added automatically as part of this process? Is there any reason not to do it this way?

Thanks!

Return to posts index

John Heagy
on Dec 5, 2011 at 4:27:55 pm

[Jim Shafer] "using the "QT Export" option (not Compressor or QT Conversion or anything else) to to convert 24p to 60i (via the "HDV 1080i60 setting) yields a clip that, to my eye, looks quite good.

Is the 3:2 pulldown being added automatically as part of this process? Is there any reason not to do it this way?
"

Hi Jim,

In short... no. What you are doing with QT Export will produce frame based 4:2 and repeat every 4th frame. You will need to use Compressor to produce proper field based 3:2. The only place 4:2 is desirable is for online/web content where interlace footage is not supported.

Below are the Compressor settings to convert 1080p 23.98 to 1080i 29.97

- import 24p footage to Compressor
- apply Quicktime encoding profile (usually ProRes 422 or Uncompressed)
- in Encoder tab of inspector, click Settings button and under Motion, change frame rate to 29.97
- in Frame Controls tab of inspector, turn frame controls ON, set output fields to upper, select "Fast (Nearest Frame)" for rate conversion, duration is 100% of source
- render

Return to posts index

Jim Shafer
on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:04:25 pm

Thanks John for the specific instructions. I'll run some DVD tests and see how it works.

If I encode the 24p stuff to ProRes 422, will I need to also convert the 60i footage? Or can I leave the 60i unconverted and mix with ProRes in the timeline? I feel like I've read something about ProRes not working with multiclips.

Return to posts index

Jim Shafer
on Dec 6, 2011 at 5:37:04 am

Another question: I'm out of my depth with this ProRes 422 workflow. I notice it septuples the data rate of each video file. I'm running off a single external SATA HDD. Can this drive handle a timeline of multiple ProRes 422 clips?

(if not, can I just re-convert the converted 24p footage from ProRes back to HDV, this time as 60i?)

Also, I have original HDV 60i footage that I don't need to multiclip; can I use this on the same timeline as the up-converted ProRes 422 and output to DvD? Or would the HDV 60i stuff need to be converted, too?

Thanks for the continuing assistance.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]