FORUMS: list search recent posts

Changing Sequence Settings to Match Clips Mid-Project

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zack Mulvaney
Changing Sequence Settings to Match Clips Mid-Project
on Dec 3, 2011 at 7:02:16 pm

I love how, when I start a project and drop in the first clip, Final Cut asks me if I want the sequence settings to match those of the clip. For whatever reason (my human error, I'm sure), I sometimes discover that something doesn't look right in the Canvas, and sure enough, the sequence settings are not the same as the those of the clip(s).

My question: When I make this discovery, I first try to simply change the sequence settings to correctly match the clip(s). But, whenever I do this, the clips get more distorted in the canvas. So, next, I try to copy and paste the clips from that sequence into a new sequence with the correct settings and I run into a whole different form of distortion in the canvas.

Any ideas on the solution here?

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
Re: Changing Sequence Settings to Match Clips Mid-Project
on Dec 3, 2011 at 7:47:59 pm

[Zack Mulvaney] "When I make this discovery, I first try to simply change the sequence settings to correctly match the clip(s)."

Once you start a project incorrectly the clips already edited will have been conformed to the inappropriate codec. So, whether you change the sequence settings (not the best way) or open a new sequence, set its setting properly, then cut and paste all clips from the from the earlier sequence, you will always have to select all clips, and use remove attributes to reset the "basic motion" and "distort" parameters to their defaults.

Let me suggest that, since you suggest you've encountered this before, that you endeavor to insure it doesn't ever happen again, by always checking Sequence Settings against the clip settings in the FCP browser after editing the very first clip, just to make sure your sequence is always set properly. If you had a client looking over your shoulder you be doing that every time, or you'd quickly find yourself without clients.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Dec 3, 2011 at 10:35:06 pm

Thanks -- note (very well) taken!

So...I reset basic motion and distort, but now all the clips have the red render line -- how do get playback without having to render (which i am able to do when simply dropping in the clip with the right sequence settings from the outset)?

Return to posts index

Zack Mulvaney
on Dec 3, 2011 at 10:51:21 pm

nevermind -- sorted it out -- thanks!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 4, 2011 at 4:12:25 am

I would also throw out there that this was a pretty shaky feature in the first place. It's more appropriate for the cameraman/editor one man band than anything else. For the dedicated editor with clients and/or shooters bringing him footage, it is almost never the right thing to do. More often than not, the sequence needs to match your output needs or the output needs of your client. If you need to deliver 720p or 1080i you need to make sure your sequence is set appropriately. as well, if your using a Matrox, AJA, or Blackmagic product you may also need to select their version of the sequence settings to ensure playback. There is also a good chance of getting mixed formats or non-square formats that aren't full raster. For example if your footage is HDV, DVCPto, or XDCam EX you probably don't want to edit in those formats. Or perhaps some of your footage was 24p but your supposed to deliver 1080i. The bottom line is ignorance is no excuse here. Before you edit, press ctrl+q, and choose the correct preset. THEN make a new sequence and start editing. I'd say most of the time the choice should be Pro Res 422 1080i, 1080p, or 720p.

The funny thing is that Apple tried to simplify the sequence settings with a simple yes/no question. But if someone doesn't know what they need their output format to be, then they aren't really qualified to answer the question.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Mage
on Sep 20, 2012 at 7:10:28 am

Ok, I'm a musician. Shot a bunch of stuff on different cameras of my last show. Just want an easy way to turn all of the different footage into one type, so that I can edit it without rendering in final cut.
I reckon Compressor is the way to do this, but I'm having trouble with my compressor install.

Is there ANY way to force all clips in a FCP project to match the chosen sequence format?

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]