FORUMS: list search recent posts

Delivering MXF HDCAM files from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
il chino
Delivering MXF HDCAM files from FCP
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:30:24 pm

Hello,

I'm starting a project next week where the delivery is an MXF XDCAM442 file, with 8 stems of audio.

I've really limited experience with this and want to flag up any potential problems before they occur, as the deadline is pretty tight.

I know how to export the file, but...

First off, ideally I'd like to know exactly what i'm actually delivering. i.e what does the MXF file consist of? Am I right in thinking that it's basically wrapping up video at Mpeg2 422p, along with 8 different audio tracks?

Secondly, once it's exported, is there a way to check the file on a mac/open it in FCP to check it's all good and proper?

Thirdly, is there anything else I should know?

Thanks in advance

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: Delivering MXF HDCAM files from FCP
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:57:52 pm

If never tried that but i think you can do it through the "Export to XDCAM" function (you need the SONY Transfer Plugin installed), and I guess the only way to check the files is with the SONY Clip Browser. Some Calibrated plugin will do possible to bring them to FC, if I'm not wrong.
I think you would get better info using the SEARCH window in the forum.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

il chino
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:20:21 pm

Thanks

Yeah, I've got that sony browser, but was wondering if there's a way to actually unwrap it, so you can see if FCP which audio stems are in each track (as there are specific channels for different parts of the audio i.e ch1 international sound, c2 music and fx etc).

Return to posts index

Jean-Christophe Boulay
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:14:47 pm

Once you've exported to XDCam .MXF, you can do a quick listen-through using VLC, which reads the format natively.

If you need a more thorough check, you ca reimport the MXF into FCP by simply using "File/Import/Sony XDCam", which should be there if the Sony plugin is installed. The import process is all pretty self-explanatory with complete notes on functions and workflow visible within the GUI itself. That will import into whatever FCP project you have open and select in the import process, so you can place it on a timeline and be completely sure nothing moved, which it never does in my experience.

IHTH,

JC Boulay
Technical Director
Audio Z
Montreal, Canada
http://www.audioz.com

Return to posts index

il chino
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:16:29 pm

Thanks for this info Jean-Christophe, I will have a look at this over the weekend. Sounds like the answer I was after.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]