FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can you use Final Cut Pro to monitor HDMI feed Live?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jon Wyse
Can you use Final Cut Pro to monitor HDMI feed Live?
on Dec 2, 2011 at 2:58:06 pm

I am attempting to use either Final Cit Pro or Adobe CS5 and take advantage of their vectorscope and monitoring functions, but I cannot seem to do so unless it's an actual file or clip. Can one use these functions live from an HDMI feed? I am using both a MacPro and MacBookPro with both Final Cit and Adobe, and I am using a Sony Z5U with an Atomos Ninja which captures the live HDMI feed from the camera and save it automatically to Apple Pro Res 4:2:2. However, I would also like to use the vectorscope functionality, etc.. and am unable to figure out how to do so without spending a significant cost. Any ideas?

Best Regards,

Jon-Erik Wyse

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Can you use Final Cut Pro to monitor HDMI feed Live?
on Dec 2, 2011 at 3:24:12 pm

FCP has scopes in the capture window, so you could monitor a live signal, but once you hit capture now, it shuts everything else down and all you see is the video being captured. It's pretty archaic and hasn't changed in the slightest since v1. Perhaps FCPx?

Return to posts index

Jon Wyse
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:43:15 pm

That would work for me. The problem I appear to having is that I am unable (or do not know how) to get FCP Studio to obtain the signal from my Camera. I purchased an HDMI to Displayport adapter but I think this will only allow me to send signals out via displayport? Not sure how I could connect the camera? I have tried using the firewire port, but this will only allow the camera to be controlled or to output footage? Is there a way to do this live feed monitoring using the firewire connection? I have a Sony Z5U and I could connect using the Firewire connections like I do to output footage? Am I selecting the wrong option? Hope someone has some insight into this.

Best Regards,

Jon-Erik Wyse

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:43:24 pm

Is not about FC or PPs, is that you need an IO card to feed your Mac with an HDMI signal.

But If you can feed the Atom Ninja with the HDMI and at the same time your MBP through FW, then no problems.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Jon Wyse
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:54:16 pm

Thanks for the insight! I was hoping to avoid an I/O card. Was wondering if there was a software workaround to be able to use the displayport cable to monitor the signal. I use an HDMI splitter and all my footage is recorded directly to apple prores 4:2:2 via the Ninja unit. Just wanted to have another of the hdmi feeds go to the MBP to enable me to use the vectorscope capabilities instead of having to get the footage from the ninja an interrupt the filming just to review the footage with the vectorscopes, etc..

It sounds like an I/O card will be the only option for monitoring the footage live. Thanks.

Best Regards,

Jon-Erik Wyse

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:54:14 pm

I'd your camera has FW sure you can use FW in on the Mac. Just choose the appropriate preset. Ctrl+Q

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2011 at 9:45:15 pm

There are better ways if all you want to do is get to use the FCP scopes. There are mac-based waveform and vector scope apps, as well as apps to record and monitor live, outside of FCP. Adoe took one of the best of them and turned it into "On Location", but there are other, stand-alone products out there.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Dec 3, 2011 at 7:34:00 am

[Jon Wyse] "Thanks for the insight! I was hoping to avoid an I/O card. Was wondering if there was a software workaround to be able to use the displayport cable to monitor the signal. I use an HDMI splitter and all my footage is recorded directly to apple prores 4:2:2 via the Ninja unit. Just wanted to have another of the hdmi feeds go to the MBP to enable me to use the vectorscope capabilities instead of having to get the footage from the ninja an interrupt the filming just to review the footage with the vectorscopes, etc..

It sounds like an I/O card will be the only option for monitoring the footage live. Thanks.
"

You haven't read the post.
Plug the FW (iLINK) from your camera to the Mac.
No need for IO card.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]