FORUMS: list search recent posts

Can't get past final cut 3.0 registration screen

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Glenn Slaughter
Can't get past final cut 3.0 registration screen
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:56:43 am

I am stationed on USS Nimitz. We have a retail copy of Final Cut 3.0, with serialization number. I can install the program, but when I click on it, a registration screen pops up that I can't get past. There is a name, organization, and serial number field.

As soon as I start typing in ANY of the fields, the "OK" button grays out, never to be clickable again.

Many thanks for any advice.

Respectfully,

MC3 Glenn Slaughter
Media Department
USS Nimitz CVN 68

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
Re: Can't get past final cut 3.0 registration screen
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:20:05 am

Hi there !

Search for digital rebellion - they are an awesome company that has a workaround to avoid this ... Fcp3 in dew respect is pretty old - hopefully their workaround will work for you

Failing that they also have removal tools for fcp - so a reinstall may be on the cards - good luck !

Adstream London, England

4 x Mac Pros, FCP7, 4 x Flip Factories, 35 x Rhozet Carbon Coders, Offices Globally

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 2, 2011 at 6:28:28 am

I honestly can't say I've provided assistance to one of our Cow members stationed onboard a naval vessel before, but I'm proud to help you Glenn, and I'll be happy to guide you through this until we find the proper solution(s).

First, several questions need answers before I can pinpoint a solution.

1) Is your software Final Cut Studio version 3 or Final Cut Pro version 3? Final Cut Studio 3 would mean you have Final Cut Pro version 6. On the other hand, Final Cut Pro version 3 is a very old version.

2) Is this a fresh install, or are you reinstalling?

3) Which version of the Mac OS in installed and do you have the original disk?

4) What Mac computer do you have?

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Glenn Slaughter
on Dec 2, 2011 at 4:29:29 pm

Thanks very much for the reply.

1) It's the old one, version 3.02.

2) It was a fresh install, as the Mac is new. I've tried deleting and resinstalling a couple of times.

3) OS X 10.6.4 - I have the original disk

4) It's a Mac Pro

I've realized that the Mac came installed with a server OS. I am unfamiliar with Macs, but it seems this could be causing a problem.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Dec 2, 2011 at 5:31:08 pm

That early version of FCP (eight year old now) was originally designed for the Power PC Macs running a much older version of the OS and with a much earlier version of Quicktime. I can't remember if it will install on a new Intel Mac with the latest version of Quicktime, but I will check for you just to make 100% sure. It certainly can't run it without having Rosetta installed, so Google it and install it.

However, I can also see that you need to run the Software Update on that Mac to update the OS to the latest version. Click on the Apple on the upper left and then click on Software Update to run it. You often have to run it and reboot the machine several times, but you will eventually get a message that all software is up to date.

After doing both of the above try loading FCP again to see if it will load.

BTW Glenn, I'd really suggest that you buy a used copy of FCS 3 on Ebay. You'll be much happier even if you can get FCP 3 to load and run.

David Roth Weiss
Director/Editor/Colorist
David Weiss Productions, Inc.
Los Angeles
http://www.drwfilms.com

Don't miss my new Creative Cow Podcast: Bringing "The Whale" to the Big Screen:
http://library.creativecow.net/weiss_roth_david/Podcast-Series-2-MikeParfit...

POST-PRODUCTION WITHOUT THE USUAL INSANITY ™

Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Business & Marketing and Apple Final Cut Pro forums.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 2, 2011 at 7:31:15 pm

Glenn being a government employee, it might not be as easy as that.

Return to posts index

Glenn Slaughter
on Dec 5, 2011 at 8:51:36 pm

The Mac doesn't have access to the internet, so unfortunately I can't download any software or updates. Purchasing new software is also a little tricky. I'll have to ask about that. I believe we're set to receive CS5 on it soon.

Return to posts index

Craig RussillRoy
on Dec 5, 2011 at 9:00:12 pm

Hi Glenn

here s the link i mentioned ...

http://www.digitalrebellion.com/blog/posts/how_to_banish_the_final_cut_pro_...

Adstream London, England

4 x Mac Pros, FCP7, 4 x Flip Factories, 35 x Rhozet Carbon Coders, Offices Globally

Return to posts index

Glenn Slaughter
on Dec 6, 2011 at 8:39:00 pm

Thanks Craig. I can't access that webpage from the ship's computers, but I'll take a look when I get back to the barracks tonight.

Return to posts index

Glenn Slaughter
on Jan 10, 2012 at 3:21:18 pm

We just received CS5 and are installing that instead. The PCs in the shop all run on Adobe anyway. I was hoping to learn Final Cut, but this is the easiest solution considering how old the software was. Thank you for the help everyone.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 6, 2011 at 12:43:42 am

If not, maybe we can move the topic to an appropriate forum and talk about taking up a collection to get him set up better.

Just promise me, sailor, the XO-in-the-shower scenes stay on the cutting room floor.:-)

Return to posts index

Glenn Slaughter
on Dec 6, 2011 at 3:17:11 pm

Ha ha nice!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]