FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP project set-up&Organization: Work with .mts or .mov ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jane Q Public
FCP project set-up&Organization: Work with .mts or .mov ?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:44:53 pm

Trying to unravel a bit of a rats nest... I have .mts files for a project that was shot on the AF-100, 1080p, AVCHD. I also have the .mts files in .mov format, ProRes422(HQ). The project is finishing on DVD. I am working with FCP7 on a MacBookPro and at some point will hand the project off to the color correct folks...

The media files are incorrectly named and bear no relationship to the project, as example, I have about 30 .mov files in different folders, all named clip1. In total there are several hundred files.

Wondering if I should start fresh, working with the .mts files and Log and Capture. This way I can easily rename the material while retaining metadata to the 'camera original' 'negative.' Also thinking it affords me the easy ability to determine which footage, Ins/Outs, circled takes should be brought into the system. I'd like work in ProPres proxy, though I assume I can achieve this by changing the existing .mov ProRes422(HQ)?

Should I stick with the existing .mov files or should I begin anew with the .mts files? Tapeless workflow is really new for me, I'm finding it fascinating but I also know if I'm not smart about it at the front end, it's gonna be ugly at the backend. Really want to do this right.

If I do use the .mov files, do I change the file names inside FCP or should I change the actual QT file names? AND, if I should change the actual QT file names, should I make a copy first, preserving the original, poorly named .mov files?

I know I'm asking a buncha questions, your expertise, opinions and guidance are really appreciated. Thank you so much. -Jane

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP project set-up&Organization: Work with .mts or .mov ?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:06:34 pm

Tapeless workflow for FCP: Tapeless Workflow for FCP 7 Tutorial

AVCHD is a horrid format when it comes to clip naming. Because each card starts over as CLip #1, Clip #2...so on and so on. And if you do not change the names in the L&T interface...linking to the right file can become a BIG issue.

Yeah...I'd start over, use L&T to convert so that FCP can track the footage, and rename the clips. If you do it after the fact, FCP might not be able to track it. Oh, only if you do it in the finder. If you rename in FCP, and then choose the MODIFY>RENAME FILES TO MATCH CLIPS, FCP will retain the metadata and now what card to look for when/if you need to recapture.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Jane Q Public
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:55:07 pm

Wow - thank you so much for you reply Shane. I feel like the young grasshopper at the feet of The Master!

Question of clarification, Shane wrote: "Oh, only if you do it in the finder."
What does this mean?

Sounds like it is best to start over, Use L&T, rename the .mts files in L&T, use Modify>Rename Files To Match Clips, thus adding the slate information to the existing metadata of the original clips without compromising those files. I'll bring the assets into FCP at ProResproxy and re-render at a higher quality later. Yes?

Thank you so much for your insight.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:04:54 pm

[Jane Q Public] "Question of clarification, Shane wrote: "Oh, only if you do it in the finder."
What does this mean? "

If you rename the QT files on the FINDER level...meaning, do into the hard drive and then rename the file..then FCP will have issues tracking that back to the original card media. Why? No clue.

[Jane Q Public] "Use L&T, rename the .mts files in L&T, use Modify>Rename Files To Match Clips"

If you name the clips as you log and transfer them in, there is no need to RENAME them. You already did. If you rename them before you bring them in, those names are on the clips and the files on the hard drive. RENAME only if you change the clip name in FCP, and want the QT file on the drive to reflect that name. Do that SPARINGLY, as it can lead to issues.

[Jane Q Public] "I'll bring the assets into FCP at ProResproxy and re-render at a higher quality later. Yes?"

Batch Capure...not re-render:
ttp://library.creativecow.net/ross_shane/tapeless_online/1

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:29:33 pm

Hey, question: does clipwrap help with this kind of thing at all?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:42:14 pm

YOu cannot offline/online with ClipWrap. Unless you bring everything to online quality, then media manage to offline quality, and relink later.

But no, it will keep the same clip names, and not allow for renaming until after you convert.

Shane
Little Frog Post

Return to posts index

Jane Q Public
on Dec 1, 2011 at 8:57:41 pm

Batch capture, not re-render - Fantastic!

Okay, so here's my path IN: I'm ignoring the .mov files. I'm staring fresh, importing the .mts files via log and transfer. From within L&T I will change/add scene&take information and bring the assets into FCP at ProRes proxy. I'm not touching the files, not renaming anything at the finder/root level.

I'm not using Rename Clip to Match because adding the scene/take info via L&T will do that.

Just tell me when I start coming off as a schmoe, my need for an idiots level of clarity is merely the result of wanting to avoid Junk In-Junk Out. I feel it's also vital to be able to reference back to the source asset, it seems this path will totally allow this and create the path to Batch Capture instead of re-render for outputting at a higher resolution.

All this sound good and reasonable as a work flow for getting the project set-up and off the ground?

Can't tell you how much I value your expertise and patience.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]