FORUMS: list search recent posts

Trying to move project - used media manage - FTG is from AVID using Automatic Duck ...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aimie Burns
Trying to move project - used media manage - FTG is from AVID using Automatic Duck ...
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:01:54 pm

Hi,

I have managed to move an Avid Sequence, into Final Cut, using Automatic Duck. Everything is online, and working fine.

But now, I need to "archive" this project, and make 3 copies of it, each on their own drive.

Originally, I copied project folder, all Capture Scratch, the AAF, and media associated with it all to 1 drive. Then when I try to open the project, I get the following error:
"Searching for movie data file xxxxxx.mxf" - I can manually click search, and find it, and then hit "connect" - but then it does this for the very next clip in my sequence. Which would mean I'd have to do this over 900 times.

So I tried using Media Manager - I had to "copy" everything to my main drive, because it kept crashing when I was trying to "copy" to the external USB drive.

The Media Manager move seemed to work, so I copied that whole folder onto an external USB drive, and then plugged that drive into another computer, and I still get the same error - but I can't connect to the original media anymore.

Is this problem caused because FCP is now looking for the original .MXF file path from the Avid?

How can I make this project self contained, so I can make these 3 "archive copies"?

FCP 7.0.3
OS 10.6.8

Many thanks in advance.

Aimie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Trying to move project - used media manage - FTG is from AVID using Automatic Duck ...
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:39:27 pm

When you AutoDuck to FCP, the duck will make QT reference movies that just reference the MXF files. They aren't self contained QT files...they are just little wrappers that wrap the MXF files into a QT reference wrapper so that FCP can see them, and work with them. But those QTs aren't the full files, and cannot be media managed.

To archive, you should CONSOLIDATE the final cut in Avid to the drive you want to archive too. Then, AutoDuck that consolidated sequence to FCP...also using the drive you want to archive too. That way the MXF and the QT ref wrappers are in the same place.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aimie Burns
Re: Trying to move project - used media manage - FTG is from AVID using Automatic Duck ...
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:46:27 pm

Hi Shane,

So this was my workflow:
In Avid:
1. Transcoded final sequence to drive - several diff. frame rates in project.
2. Export AAF - using COPY to fold - and AAF protocol

In FCP:
Imported AAF - using exisiting media -

This was how I was eventually able to get everything online in FCP.

So, are you saying I'll have to do this same workflow - essentially for each drive?

Or are you suggesting, I consolidate the transcoded sequence in Avid, and then retry getting the sequence up and running in FCP, and then I should be able to just copy the drives?

Thank you so very much for all of your help.

Aimie

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:56:44 pm

[Aimie Burns] "So, are you saying I'll have to do this same workflow - essentially for each drive?"

Well...no. Just copy over the consolidated media and the QT reference files...manually, in the finder...to each drive.

Question I have...why are you going to FCP?

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Aimie Burns
on Dec 1, 2011 at 7:06:50 pm

Hi Shane,

Thanks. Trying that now.

Why you ask ... who knows .. client wants an FCP version ... =(

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]