FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony RAD plugin true 24p transfer?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Martha Dodge
Sony RAD plugin true 24p transfer?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 5:27:46 pm

Hi,

I have a Sony Z7U with the HVR-MRC1 attachment. I usually shoot on tapes and I am just beginning to utilize the CF card recording option. I shoot 24p.

I installed the Sony RAD plug-in for the log and transfer option in FCP 7 to get the footage from the CF Cards.

When I am in the log and transfer window, under preferences, it shows the Sony HDD plug-in as 1080p24@30 transferring to Apple Pro res 422. Sony says that it removes the 2-3 cadences and transcodes the HDV to Apple Pro res 422 in order to edit in a 23.98 timeline.

Everything is working, my question is, does this plug in keep true 24p or am I losing that quality? Am I only getting true 24p through the tapes?

Thanks,
Martha

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Sony RAD plugin true 24p transfer?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:19:51 pm

[Martha Dodge] "my question is, does this plug in keep true 24p or am I losing that quality? Am I only getting true 24p through the tapes?"

That camera doesn't shoot "True 24p." True 24p means natively recording the footage at 23.98. HDV cameras don't do that, especially to tape. To tape, it is 24p recorded at 29.97...pulldown needs to be removed. Same with their card...24p in a 29.97 stream, pulldown needs to be removed.

And know this...there is NO quality lost in removing that pulldown. All that is happening is frames are being removed...6 per second...no recompression is happening

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Martha Dodge
Re: Sony RAD plugin true 24p transfer?
on Dec 1, 2011 at 6:23:24 pm

Great, thanks for the clarification!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]