FORUMS: list search recent posts

relinking XDCAM footage in FCP 7

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
angela anderson
relinking XDCAM footage in FCP 7
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:47:59 pm

First I apologize for bringing up this topic yet again - I've been searching the forum for an answer, I don't think there is an easy one, but I'm going to ask again just in case.

I and my filmmaking partner recently shot a significant amount of footage on a sony EX1. I transferred all of the original footage (the BPAV folders) onto a harddrive and made a copy of that drive so we each had one. We agreed not to change any file names, hoping that we could each make separate cuts, email the fcp project to the other one, and then theoretically re-link the media and voila - we could see what the other had done.

We've just tried this, however, and since the footage has been imported into FCP using XDCam Transfer, FCP is searching for .mov files, while the media on the harddrive are the original .mp4 files.

I've been going through the clips in fcp one by one and importing them again via XDCam Transfer, then "relinking" them one by one in the project. Needless to say, this is a royal pain in the ass. Am I missing something? Is there any way to make this process less painful? Even a batch import into FCP from XDCam would speed things up. Any advice is appreciated!

FCP 7.0
XDCam Transfer 2.13
MacBook Pro 2.6GHz 4g OSX 10.5.8

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: relinking XDCAM footage in FCP 7
on Dec 3, 2011 at 4:41:53 pm

Well, since the project file you send from the "A" station to the "B" station is connected to .mov files, you need to import all of the footage on the B station to match that of the A station... i.e, batch import it all on the B station just as you did on the A station. So the files on each really do match each other exactly.

Then it should be just a matter of reconnecting one you pass project files back and forth. If you name the drive that holds the footage after import the same as the drive on station A, and have the same path names on folders etc which contain these files, you won't even have to reconnect, because FCP on B will find the files in the same file name path that A uses and automatically connect to them.

Such as: Drive name/Scratch Disk/project file name/media file name...

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

angela anderson
Re: relinking XDCAM footage in FCP 7
on Dec 5, 2011 at 12:15:28 am

"Well, since the project file you send from the "A" station to the "B" station is connected to .mov files, you need to import all of the footage on the B station to match that of the A station... i.e, batch import it all on the B station just as you did on the A station. So the files on each really do match each other exactly."

First of all thanks for your reply Jerry - our problem is is that there seems to be no real way to do a batch import of xdcam files (mp4 files) - all of our paths are the same, but since FCP is looking for .mov files, there seems to be no easy way for me to import all of the .mp4 files that my partner used except for doing it manually one by one. I then have to literally relink the clips in the fcp browser to the new clips (now .mov files) i've just imported. This process seems insane, and that's why i'm asking if i'm missing something here - something as simple as a batch import of all the master clips in the project.

anyone?

thanks!
angela

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]