FORUMS: list search recent posts

File based Closed Captioning workflow....any advice?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dennis Leppell
File based Closed Captioning workflow....any advice?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 9:37:43 pm

There's a lot of info out there about closed captioning, but I can't seem to come up with a definitive answer for what I need to do.

So here's the gist of things in a simplified version of what I'm trying to accomplish.

I have a whole bunch of 6 minute videos that have been previously captioned on dv tape. I'm going to start getting a whole bunch more videos captioned in HD, and delivered on a hard drive. I need to take 3 of these videos at a time, place them on a timeline, and then need to deliver a HD captioned master. Simultaneously, I need to deliver a SD captioned master on Beta SP. FCP7 is our software of choice.

I am trying to AVOID using MacCaption software, so please don't recommend it unless there's no other way.

Using a Matrox MXO2 LE, I believe I can scale the standard def videos and retain captioning (both input and output). If this is correct, please let me know.

What I really can't figure out though is A) what format I need the caption house to deliver to me that has CC embedded in the video, and B) what format(s) can I export directly from FCP that will keep that CC in the video, with no additional steps involving .scc files and such. I'd like to utilize 608/708 captioning if possible

Info I've read indicate that XDCAM, MPG2, and DVCPRO HD, but there's no real cut and dry 'this is how it's done' solution.

I have seen info about capturing with ProRes will retain this info, but that workflow always has laying to tape as the final step.

If and when I get this figure out, I'm SO doing a tutorial on it.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: File based Closed Captioning workflow....any advice?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 10:15:27 pm

There's no other way.

Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved