FORUMS: list search recent posts

Sony Vegas to FCP legacy - what should I have them give me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tony Brittan
Sony Vegas to FCP legacy - what should I have them give me?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:47:44 pm

Getting ready to work with a new show that has previously worked with a Sony Vegas Editor. He has the show open, close, and some other elements that they still wanna use. He says he composites in Combustion an edits with Vegas Pro. What format should I request the stuff in so I can either use it straight away, or transcode to Prores? I'll be working in a 1080 Prores timeline for the edit.

I do have Avid and Adobe Production Premium as well. Thanks so much for your time!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
Re: Sony Vegas to FCP legacy - what should I have them give me?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:38:25 pm

The ProRes family of codecs would indeed be best for FCP editing:
HQ for an archive copies of elements without transparency. You can then further transcode it if necessary.
422 copies for everyday editing use of elements without transparency.
4444 for animations with an Alpha Channel. FCP likes a straight (not premultipled) alpha channel.

The rub to all this: can a Vegas editor actually do those conversions? Can it be done using Combustion? I'm unsure.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer
KCRG-TV (ABC) Cedar Rapids, IA

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:50:34 pm

Well, that would be the obvious answer and one that I would love for him to be able to do, but he can't do that. Prores isn't available to him on the PC.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:53:06 pm

BTW, thanks for taking the time to answer!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Nov 30, 2011 at 6:26:43 pm

There could be an alternative.

Telestream -- the folks who make Flip4Mac -- have many other conversion products that are a lot better than simple Flip4Mac. Episode and Episode Pro come to mind. They're platform-agnostic, and could do the trick.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Dec 1, 2011 at 12:36:17 pm

I've actually got an old version of Episode but I'm not sure how that's gonna help (also have Adobe Media Encoder, etc, etc). I'm a bit of a tech geek with the software so I'm loaded for bear on that front. But the problem is on his end. Using PC, Sony Vegas, and Combustion, he can't really output what I desire...being Prores in any flavor but Proxy...so I'm kinda stuck. I could have him give me DVCPRO HD as most all NLE systems have that codec, but that is 720p and the footage I'll be working with will most likely be 1080i. Some will be 1080p from GoPro cams but that's beside the point :-)
I guess the best thing for me to do at this point is to have him output 1080 h.264 files and I'll go ahead and transcode to Prores. Well, that'll work for the open and close but I think he's got lower thirds as well. Maybe he can give me those in animation codec.

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Dave LaRonde
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:44:40 pm

[Tony Brittan] "I guess the best thing for me to do at this point is to have him output 1080 h.264 files and I'll go ahead and transcode to Prores."

Instead of H.264, I'd recommend QT movies in the PNG codec: they're 10-bit and lossless. They also support alpha channels.

Despite what people say about H.264, I don't buy the claims of "lossless". It's like trying to stuff 10 pounds of you-know-what into a 5-pound bag. Something's got to give, and I can't help but think it's image quality. Suffer the huge file sizes and go with PNG.

Dave LaRonde
Sr. Promotion Producer

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]