FORUMS: list search recent posts

does reverse clip need shift fields filter or not?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Tamara Lee
does reverse clip need shift fields filter or not?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:58:37 am

Hi there,

for a while now I have been having problems with reversed clip playback in Final Cut Pro 7 (using HDV footage filmed on a Canon XHA1).

On most occasions when I reversed a video clip it played back jittery when I printed to tape and played back on the camera LCD screen. I didnt realise why until I found out that its because the field order is reversed when a clip is reversed and that a shift fields filter is required to fix the issue for smooth playback.

The first time I used the shift fields filter (which I also read that for HDV video, needs to be set to -1) it fixed the jittery playback perfectly in a reverse pan (speed 100%).

Since then, I have been applying it to all clips I have reversed in any HDV project.

However recently in a new project, a slow-motioned pan clip (80% speed) I applied the -1 shift fields filter to was still stuttering in playback on the camera LCD screen. I had a few experiments with different settings in the shift fields filter as well as trying out a flicker filter and even making the clip 100% (when it had the shift fields filter set on -1). None of these seemed to remove the jitter from the pan when played back on an exported tape.

Eventually I removed all filters and printed to tape which I then played back on the camera LCD screen, and the stuttor seems to be non-existent.

Although I seemed to have fixed the clip in question, I am confused as to why the shift fields filter worked for the first reverse pan clip and not for the second one?

How am I going to know when I need to apply the shift fields filter and when I don't?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
Re: does reverse clip need shift fields filter or not?
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:19:02 am

You are right Tamara.
As long as FC just speed the footage to -100%, the footage ends up being read in the wrong field order.
You can "Shift fields", or use the FREE Nattress Reverse, which takes care of everything:
http://www.nattress.com/Free/freeFCP.htm
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Tamara Lee
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:24:09 am

Hi Rafael, thanks for your reply. I think you misread the point of the question. i realise shift fields is supposed to be the fix, but why does it not work on some particular reverse pan clips?

Also I dont think the links work on that Nattress page. I clicked the (click here to download free plugins box) up in the top right hand area of the page, and it just downloaded this weird html code page. How do I download this plugin specifically?

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 30, 2011 at 12:36:43 pm

Hi Tamara,
Yes, sorry, I've read too fast.
I remember that some times when combining "shift-fields" with speed changes, FC messed everything.
The solution is to nest the clip.
Try applying the speed change (-80?), nest that and then apply the Shift -fields on top of that.
If that doesn't works, try applying the Shift-fields, nest that and make the speed change.
I don't remember which one but one of both did te job.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]