FORUMS: list search recent posts

awful MTS conversions

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Christopher Ruge
awful MTS conversions
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:59:25 pm

Hi,

I received a hard drive full of MTS files from a digital camcorder (T264, 1920x1080, 29.97, AC3, 48kHz) that needs to be edited in FCP, which doesn't recognize the format.

My plan was to convert the clips to ProRes to edit, but have yet to get any good results.

I found a 3rd party title that allows me to convert the MTS to mp4 or mov, then I can use MPEG Streamclip (or Compressor) to convert to ProRes. The problem is that the converted video shows horrible horizontal banding, especially on moving images:

I can only assume this is due to interlacing, but try as I might, I cannot deinterlace the original MTS file. Where am I going wrong? Is there a better way to build this mousetrap?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: awful MTS conversions
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:27:34 pm

First off, try ClipWrap2 to convert the footage directly to ProRes, so you don't do two conversions.

Second...interlacing is normal. The CANVAS and VIEWER won't show them properly at times, and you see that. But on a DVD, or broadcast monitor it'd look fine. Which is why it is important to get proper monitoring solutions that include a Video IO card and at least an HDTV.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Christopher Ruge
on Nov 30, 2011 at 4:09:50 pm

Thanks! That appears to solve the problem (and WAY faster, too!)

One follow-up question: I normally edit and export in 720p. This batch of MTS clips are all 1080i. Am I better off converting them all to 720 prior to editing, or leaving them as 1080 in a 720 sequence?

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:57:17 pm

Can you even convert them to 720p with the converter? I think it only brings them in at the resolution they were shot.

Edit at 1080, and deliver 720.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]