FORUMS: list search recent posts

PC Editing System & Cameras FCP editors suggest (tired question)

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vincent Strader
PC Editing System & Cameras FCP editors suggest (tired question)
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:01:17 pm

In Summary before the fluff:
1. If FCP editors had to go with a PC work station which would they feel best about
2. Camera's FCP editors prefer to work with (for low light settings).

I know this is a tired question so I apologize in advance, but it might be a bit different.

If FCP editors were going to be forced to have to suggest a PC work station to do your work on, which set up would you go with? Matrox Turnkey system? HP, Dell?

Where I work is P.C. dominated on the networks, and the I.T. department has a lot of pull. I think I'm going to have to go with P.C. at work.

I know I'll probably avoid Avid, and stick with the CS5.5 package, or whatever is the most current at the time budget comes through for our upgrades.

Cameras are also being looked at. Where I work and what I do I'm constantly finding myself in low light settings.

Right now I work with a JVC GY-HM100u and a HD110. They're great in well lit situations, but I guess I'm not a good enough videographer to get good images in low light setting without boosting the gain, and sometimes that's not enough.

The second employee is suggesting we get the Cannon 5D or 7D but doesn't understand all the pricey attachments we'll have to buy, that our budget will not cover.

I'd prefer an actual videography type camera with everything already on it, and not a still camera without a pricey video rig set up that takes great video.

Vinnie
---
24, LOST, Prison Break, FRINGE, Supernatural, DEXTER, Breaking Bad, CHUCK, Flash Forward, HEROES...even SMALLVILLE in the latter seasons.. they've all ruined my movie going experience by being better than so many movies out today.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: PC Editing System & Cameras FCP editors suggest (tired question)
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:29:58 pm

[Vincent Strader] "1. If FCP editors had to go with a PC work station which would they feel best about"

HP Z800. Saving up for one now...

[Vincent Strader] "2. Camera's FCP editors prefer to work with (for low light settings)."

Uhm...us editors have little to no say as to what camera people use. Hired to edit whatever people choose to shoot. The choice isn't mine...it's the camera guys and the producer. I do ask that they avoid HDV, as I hate that format. But other than that, avoid consumer level cameras is all I ask.

[Vincent Strader] "The second employee is suggesting we get the Cannon 5D or 7D but doesn't understand all the pricey attachments we'll have to buy, that our budget will not cover."

Yup...tons of attachments needed, and still limited shooting time. Overheating issues cause the camera to stop recording after 12 min or so. Always need to start again. Horrible if you are doing interviews, could lose part of the answer.

[Vincent Strader] "I'd prefer an actual videography type camera with everything already on it, and not a still camera without a pricey video rig set up that takes great video."

HPX-2000...HPX3000, shooting in AVCIntra 100 mode. My favorite. XDCAM...I guess, if they must. HPX250...that's an AVCIntra P2 camera. And what I like about P2 formats is that they are editable natively in Avid and Premiere.

But I am going with Avid when I am not using FCP 7. Working on the timeline and mixing audio internally is so much easier and faster. Patching your tracks in PPro is clumsy, audio mixing is very tedious and limiting in PPro, at this time...IMHO.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Vincent Strader
Re: PC Editing System & Cameras FCP editors suggest (tired question)
on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:17:43 am

Thanks Mr. Ross,
Copying and sending to management.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]