FORUMS: list search recent posts

Exporting from FCP

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Patrick Murphy
Exporting from FCP
on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:38:34 am

Hi there,

I am looking for some advice, i really hope someone might be able to help.

I work as a cameraman/editor and have recently started doing News packages that i shoot and edit and are then uploaded to an FTP site.

I film on a Sony EX3, then edit on a Mac Book Pro in FCP6, and use compressor.

I basically need the final file to be around 300MB for a 2 min piece, but i also need the process to be as quick as possible as everyone is waiting around at the end of the day while i am exporting and compressing.

Any advice from someone who has experience with this kind of work flow would be so so appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Paddy

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
Re: Exporting from FCP
on Nov 29, 2011 at 2:58:49 pm

Is the video interlaced or non-interlaced? Looks like a 20 megabit bit rate is what you are aiming for. You should be able to get a reasonable quality using an H.264 single pass encode in compressor. At the end, select a job action to run an Automator workflow. Create an ftp uploader in automator.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:09:52 pm

It is interlaced.

Do you advice exporting as a Quicktime file and then going to compressor do i need to change any of the settings when exporting from FCP?

I have attached an image of the sequence settings i am using....

Then when i go to compressor do i use one of the pre sets or do i need to change things around.

Sorry, these are probably stupid questions but i am a cameraman by trade and self taught editing!

Thanks for your patience, i do appreciate it...

Paddy

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:16:31 pm

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:28:19 pm

I would recommend not de-interlacing the footage. If you can keep the video interlaced using compressor and have compressor properly encode as interlaced H.264 it will save you a huge amount of time. Use the H.264 setting for Blu-ray and customize it with a 20 megabit bit rate and single pass encoding. The finished file will be an MTS file instead of a Quicktime movie however. You can convert it to a Quicktime movie by re-wrapping it with BlueX which allow it to be read by any editing system that doesn't support MTS. It's a few steps, but it's the fastest way of getting all your footage to work. I would recommend running a test of a minute or so and see if this works for your client.

Brad Wright is software engineer, so it may be difficult to understand what he is saying. He is always happy to explain his greater detail.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Dec 1, 2011 at 1:28:50 pm

Brad thank you, have a day off today so will do some tests. When you said dont de interlace, i was it a warning in case or have you noticed that i am from the FCP settings?

Also would i be able to use MPEG Streamclip to convert the MTS file or should i stick with blue X

Thanks again, as i said i so appreciate your advice...

Paddy

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 1, 2011 at 3:19:40 pm

MPEGStreamclip is going to recompress your video. BlueX is transferring the H.264 into a Quicktme file without recompressing or changing it. So, BlueX converts the footage almost instantly. It handles interlaced H.264 video and puts it in the Quicktime file so it plays out correctly.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:46:51 pm

Brad,

Apologies, you are probably sick and tired of me by now! I had to update to Snow Leopard to get Compressor 4.

However when i go to the settings for Blue Ray it seems to only allow me to go to a maximum of 17mbs?

How do it get it to 20mbs as you recommended?

Thank you in advance for your patience!

Paddy

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 8, 2011 at 8:58:08 pm

Click on the gear tab next to the Average Bit Rate setting. This should you to change the setting.

Return to posts index

Patrick Murphy
on Dec 8, 2011 at 9:04:04 pm

I did try that but even if i type in 20mbs it goes back to 17 when i save it...?

Paddy

Return to posts index

Brad Wright
on Dec 8, 2011 at 10:33:04 pm

I'm not sure why it's doing that. I'm able to set the bit rate at 30 megabits.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]