FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 render error: dashed line on hightlights

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Lars Ham
FCP 7 render error: dashed line on hightlights
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:05:21 am

I seem to have with rendering my ProRES video in FCP7. I keep getting weird dashed lines in my highlights (see screenshot).

Here's the situation:
- The footage comes from a Canon 60D. I've converted the H.264 files into ProRES LT files with MPEG Streamclip.
- My project is 1 big sequence, nested with (sub)sequences, titles and additional shots. In the subsequences, there are no other sequences.
- Most of the clips have a Sharpen filter (effects > video filters > shapren > sharpen so the bold one).
- Most clips have two 3-way color correction, one for color correction, one for colorgrading.

I've removed every file of my scratch disk, rendered again, but I keep getting the same problem. The weirdest thing is, it happens at different spots when I render it again, it seems random.

Am I missing something?

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
Re: FCP 7 render error: dashed line on hightlights
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:23:28 pm

That looks like it could be from the sharpen effect that you added. I'm guessing that since you shot indoors, facing windows to the outside, that those "highlights" are actually not highlights, they are completely blown out sections of the image because you have to open up in order to expose correctly indoors, and the outside doesn't get enough exposure. Because of this, coupled with the 60D's inability to give you alot of data in your highlights and shadows, when you color correct, you are hitting your ceiling, and it's starting to make stuff up now.
I've seen similar problems like this before, but I can't remember what camera, settings, etc. But I do realize that it's a grading/effects issue where your footage doesn't have enough data in it for you to push it this far.
I would tick off one effect and render. If it's still there, try another effect. Do this until you find the culprit. I have a feeling it could be the sharpen effect.
I just looked again and want to be sure we are talking about the same thing: you mean the dashed lines outside on the horizon right? Not that weird white dashes at the hands of the subject (looks like part of the animation)?

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Lars Ham
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:54:59 pm

The white stripes are part of an animation indeed. Phiew. :)

The dashed lines are artifacts in the renders files, and the 'Sharpen' filter seems to be the one messing it up. Possibly because of Joseph's reason. Not sure why, but right now I have two renders without problems.

Here's what I did (in case someone is experiencing the same problem)
1) Quit FCP
2) Delete entire render files bin, both video and audio
3) EMPTY TRASH
4) Restart FCP

For some reason, my FCP keeps a reference with my deleted render files, even when they are in the bin and offline. They have to be completely removed. Very sloppy...

I hope this is the solution to this problem. Right now I'm rendering 4 more versions with various codecs/settings.

Thanks for your respond, Joseph.

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:21:40 pm

Huh, so my hunch was right. I generally don't use that effect, I've never really had success with it. Caused more problems than I wanted. You can try the Sharpen under Effects/Quicktime instead?
Is the image too soft or something, is that why you need to sharpen? I generally don't do it unless it's really really bad. Or if you are trying to sharpen something very specific, you could do a composite and garbage matte just the object you need to sharpen? I can't imagine why you would want to sharpen the blown out horizon...

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Lars Ham
on Dec 1, 2011 at 2:57:38 pm

IMO the footage looks way better when a little bit of sharpen is applied. It is easy to over do it, I never use this filter above 40%, because then I get too much noise and weird looking edges.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]