FORUMS: list search recent posts

Filmed song 10% slower to speed up in final cut

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gavin Williams
Filmed song 10% slower to speed up in final cut
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:18:54 am

Can someone please explain to me how this works as I can't get my head around it:

We filmed a music video with the track being played 10% slower than its normal speed and the singer singing slower so he was in time with it. This was filmed at 24fps

We imported to Final Cut Pro and believed we could now use the song at its proper speed (imported in the original song) and just speed the visual clip up by 10% and it would sync up ok and create a slightly weird effect.

But it doesn't sync up at all? What are we doing wrong?

Any help would be much appreciated

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: Filmed song 10% slower to speed up in final cut
on Nov 29, 2011 at 6:31:11 pm

Think of the maths. What do you need to multiply 90 by to get back to 100? It's not 10% is it...

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
Re: Filmed song 10% slower to speed up in final cut
on Nov 29, 2011 at 9:37:38 pm

I think perhaps you have not approached this is the right way. But I am making a bit of an assumption about the effect you wanted.

In order to make your footage look fast or slow but still remain in sync you need to adjust both the speed of audio playback and shooting frame rate at the same time by a corresponding amount.

As an example, say you wanted your shots to appear slow motion, lets say half speed, but be in sync and your usual frame rate is 25fps.

You would shoot at 50 fps (double speed) and you would have to speed up the playback track by the same amount.

That way when both were slowed down again, the audio would be at normal speed and the pictures would apparently be at half speed but remain in sync.

What you have done is not adjust the camera shooting speed only the audio playback speed.

So although your artist was singing to playback slower than usual the only way that you can make it fit the track is by speeding it back up by the same amount you slowed it down. This simply cancels out the change in audio speed.

As Andrew says your maths is wrong - you need to speed it up by 11.1111% to return to 100% speed.

However this will just return it to "normal speed" and not really give you the effect I assume you were looking for.

best wishes
Neil
http://www.patience.tv

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]