FORUMS: list search recent posts

When to use interlaced?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Vic Noseworthy
When to use interlaced?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 7:38:20 am

Hi folks,
Just trying to understand interlaced vs progressive video. I have two questions:
If I shoot, edit and produce in progressive, and it gets broadcast via the mainstream media out to an old CRT TV (i.e. those old TVs that are receiving their signal from today's cable stations), can my video still be broadcast and read by those old TVs? Does the viewer's digital box (hooked up to his old CRT TV) "re-interlace" the signal so it's watchable?
Thanks very much!

Return to posts index

Andrew Rendell
Re: When to use interlaced?
on Nov 29, 2011 at 10:33:19 am

An old CRT tv is going to be SD and SD signals are interlaced, so a digital receiver has to be giving an interlaced output for the tv to work, whatever's being transmitted. I have a digital receiver feeding an old CRT tv in my kitchen and it's fine, so my guess is that's not something you need to worry about particularly.

Return to posts index

Neil Patience
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:42:07 pm

Progressive footage viewed on an interlaced monitor looks fine. Think of every movie shot on film you have seen.
Although it is interlaced the fields are identical so the interlacing is not an issue.

Sometimes you can have problems with progressive footage with things like slo-mo and interlaced can look better but generally as Andrew says its totally fine.

best wishes

Return to posts index

Chris Tompkins
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:51:41 pm

Interlaced can look good when going to DVD or Bluray and played on a TV set. Also good for fast action.

Chris Tompkins
Video Atlanta LLC

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 29, 2011 at 12:52:02 pm

[Vic Noseworthy] "If I shoot, edit and produce in progressive"
If you are doing everything Progressive, just forget about Interlacing.
Progressive stuff can be read as Progressive, Upper First or Lower First. Will always look the same in every
kind of screen.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2018 All Rights Reserved