FORUMS: list search recent posts

Render error: insufficient disk space

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro Legacy

<< PREVIOUS   •   FAQ   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Zoe Weslowski
Render error: insufficient disk space
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:03:52 am

I am working in FCP 7.0.3 and I got a render error message stating there was not enough disk space. How is this possible when the external HD I am working with has 897.85 GB available? Is there a limit in the actual sofware itself as to how many files it can hold? Is there a maximum limit for file space in FCP? I know it's not a drive issue, I have plenty of space on my drive for even large video files.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
Re: Render error: insufficient disk space
on Nov 29, 2011 at 3:21:25 am

Have you set that external drive as your 'Scratch Disk'?

This is me - this is what I do - http://web.mac.com/garymmw

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 4:39:16 am

Ok So, if I set at the scratch disk, does that mean that I have to also reinstall the actual software onto the external drive? I am somewhat familiar with that term, but I'm not sure how I go about setting that.

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:14:25 am

OOOHHHHH I get it!!!! I did remember that! I just watched a tutorial on how to set that. OK, I think I understand what is happening. The scratch is set to the Hard Drive on the lap top, which has limited space, so as files are being created in FCP, and they are big files with all the rendering and what not, they are taking up ALL that very little space that I have on the lap top HD. SOOO, if I set the scratch for the External HD which has PLENTY of space ALL those files I am importing and working with in FCP should be stored on the external and so that would resolve my space issue with the project. That's either right, or sounds totally crazy and at this point, I don't know what the hell it is.

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:11:51 pm

Hi Zoe, that is correct. You generally want to keep your "Final Cut Pro Documents" on the external drive, known as your "Scratch Drive." FCP Docs include your Capture Scratch, Audio Render, Autosave Vault, Render Files, Thumbnail and Waveform Cahes.
Then opposite this, you should run your applications from your computer's harddrive, known as your startup disk. This is where you should also keep and run your FCP project files. I keep my files in a folder on my desktop.
Make sure that you are setting your FCP Documents to be linked to your external harddrive, in your system preferences. As you build more projects, you might be using several external hdds. Make sure you reset your system prefs everytime you connect a new drive to work off of.
Hope this helps.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS
Panasonic Lumix GH2, Canon 5DMKII, 7D, Panasonic HVX200A, Panasonic DVX100A

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 29, 2011 at 5:51:58 pm

[Zoe Weslowski] "SOOO, if I set the scratch for the External HD which has PLENTY of space ALL those files I am importing and working with in FCP should be stored on the external and so that would resolve my space issue with the project. That's either right, or sounds totally crazy and at this point, I don't know what the hell it is."

That's right... you've got it! The application (FCP) must be installed on your system drive - your project files can be wherever you want (internal or external drive) - and your media files should always be on an external drive with a fast connection (not USB).

I don't know how far into your project you are - judging from the questions in your earlier posts, I suspect not very far despite the amount of time you've been working at it. Maybe you should consider starting over right from the beginning... including transcoding your original files from MP4 to ProRes using MPEG StreamClip and exporting to QuickTime (pay attention to the list of Compression settings and Options there). I know this may sound extreme, but it may actually save you further frustration with this project later on... as well as give your finished product a quality boost due to the fact that you have double-compressed the media files you're currently working with... and you will have to do at least one more compression when you get to the delivery stage. Speaking of delivery, what are your plans for that? - web? tape? DVD? Blu-ray? Starting over will also allow you to delete all your current render files from your system drive which should always have at least 10% free space to be able to function properly, otherwise you're just asking for more trouble.

Zoe, I admire your enthusiasm but you must realize that FCP is a professional tool and you need to approach it as such. If you don't want to take the time to research some of the basics necessary to do the work you're not going to have an easy time of it. You've taken the right step by joining the COW and there's a lot of excellent help here for sure. Do a search of the forums when you're not sure of how or why - so far in your case, all your questions have been asked and answered before. Doing a search will get the answers quicker than posting and waiting for someone to reply... no bull. Reading the manual helps as well.

Good luck.

Gary

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:45:38 pm

Hi Gary,

I am totally ready to start anew with organization. The project I have been working with, was never intended as the actual work project - I was trying to resolve the MP4 dilemma with the rendering and also experimenting with some new effects I wanted to try. I did figure out where to change the compression settings and I did that as Pro Res 422 Proxy - I was able to create a usable MOV file, however there was a green bar. Another post told me to try just ProRes or Prores HQ so I am going to see if those are export options on MPEG Stream clip, I'm guessing if they were recommended then they should be there. Another poster did refer me to an online manual source which seems great. I did find also instructions on how to set my scratch. I realize it is a pro software tool, however I have reached my limitations using things like MovieMaker. I started with an intro class over the summer and I was able to produce a good video using this software. However, I am well aware I have to get through quite a curve, but I am working very diligently to get there. Funny you ask about export options - I was just thinking that. I have had issues with getting a proper quality play back when exporting in a quicktime file. I was going to read up on that again as well. There are certainly challenges with this software and it offers far more than I even know, that's why I always set a few goals when I start so as to learn without getting too overwhelmed. I really do need to understand some of the technical language better and that's what I'm hoping to achieve, so that I can understand some basics of what I may have to do with various file types on a timeline, and the issues with compressions as far as exporting the projects go. Things are starting to click a bit. I may have a long road ahead of me, but I will get there.

Return to posts index

Gary Milligan
on Nov 29, 2011 at 11:04:58 pm

[Zoe Weslowski] "I really do need to understand some of the technical language better and that's what I'm hoping to achieve, so that I can understand some basics of what I may have to do with various file types on a timeline, and the issues with compressions as far as exporting the projects go. Things are starting to click a bit. I may have a long road ahead of me, but I will get there."

Glad to hear it Zoe. Sounds like you're approaching the challenges in a sensible way.

[Zoe Weslowski] "I did figure out where to change the compression settings and I did that as Pro Res 422 Proxy - I was able to create a usable MOV file, however there was a green bar. Another post told me to try just ProRes or Prores HQ so I am going to see if those are export options on MPEG Stream clip, I'm guessing if they were recommended then they should be there."

Maybe this is what you figured out already, but here is a link to something I quickly put together for you that may help (this is the first time I've tried this on the COW so let's hope it works)

http://reels.creativecow.net/film/mpeg-streamclip-compression-settings

Good luck.

Gary

Return to posts index

Zoe Weslowski
on Nov 29, 2011 at 8:52:00 pm

Hi Gary,

I am totally ready to start anew with organization. The project I have been working with, was never intended as the actual work project - I was trying to resolve the MP4 dilemma with the rendering and also experimenting with some new effects I wanted to try. I did figure out where to change the compression settings and I did that as Pro Res 422 Proxy - I was able to create a usable MOV file, however there was a green bar. Another post told me to try just ProRes or Prores HQ so I am going to see if those are export options on MPEG Stream clip, I'm guessing if they were recommended then they should be there. Another poster did refer me to an online manual source which seems great. I did find also instructions on how to set my scratch. I realize it is a pro software tool, however I have reached my limitations using things like MovieMaker. I started with an intro class over the summer and I was able to produce a good video using this software. However, I am well aware I have to get through quite a curve, but I am working very diligently to get there. Funny you ask about export options - I was just thinking that. I have had issues with getting a proper quality play back when exporting in a quicktime file. I was going to read up on that again as well. There are certainly challenges with this software and it offers far more than I even know, that's why I always set a few goals when I start so as to learn without getting too overwhelmed. I really do need to understand some of the technical language better and that's what I'm hoping to achieve, so that I can understand some basics of what I may have to do with various file types on a timeline, and the issues with compressions as far as exporting the projects go.

Return to posts index

Rafael Amador
on Nov 30, 2011 at 3:21:52 pm

And now that you know how to set the Scratch Disk, try to free some space in your System HD.
Applications use something called "Virtual Memory" that is nothing but space in your System HD for temporary items. If your main HD is too full things won't run smooth, even if you don't try to write to the disk.
rafael

http://www.nagavideo.com

Return to posts index

Joseph Hung
on Nov 30, 2011 at 5:11:13 pm

Rafael is right. The general rule of thumb is to always keep about 25% free on all HDDs, this includes your systems disk (computer HDD) and your scratch disk (external HDD). Once you start go past 25% of space the HDD tends to slow down.

http://www.tulpapictures.com
Twitter: @tulpapictures
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/tulpapictures

Mac 2.66 GHz Quad Intel Xeon
OSX 10.6.8
FCS2
CS5
8GB RAM
ProAvio 8TB RAID 5 Dual Mini-SAS
Blackmagic Intensity Pro
ATI Radeon X1900
RocketRAID 4322 via dual MiniSAS